cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material availability without exploding bom - Possible?

scm_09
Contributor
0 Kudos

I was reading help on some planned order related configuration for action control

Action for Planned Order - Material Requirements Planning - SAP Library

check material availability without BOM explosion

question, is for component material availability check to be done, its mandatory to explode the bom, correct? without exploding the bom and knowing what the components are, how can system do comp material availability check? if what I am saying is right, then why is saying help saying that there is possibility of material availability check without bom explosion?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The BOM may have already been exploded.

Best Regards,

DB49

scm_09
Contributor
0 Kudos

DB49,

thanks for the reply...

in sap help, here is a status to check material availability without exploding bom..

how can we do that? if we cant do that, then why do you think sap allows that status? I am little confused..

scm_09
Contributor
0 Kudos

here is the text from sap help

"""""""

The following list displays the actions contained in the SAP standard system:

• explode BOM
  • explode BOM, check material availability
  • check material availability without BOM explosion

""""""""

I understand points 1 and 2 are right.. but how is 3rd point possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SCM,

I don't know what is so hard to understand.

1.  Yesterday, I exploded the BOM.

2.  Today, I checked material availability, and I didn't explode the bom.

Best Regards,

DB49

scm_09
Contributor
0 Kudos

ok.. but what if my BOM changed from yesterday to today? then I am checking my availability based on yesterday's components..

In that case, I need to always explode bom before checking the availability, i guess..

Former Member
0 Kudos

SCM,

ok.. but what if my BOM changed from yesterday to today? then I am checking my availability based on yesterday's components..

Yes.

In that case, I need to always explode bom before checking the availability, i guess..

If you say so. This is a business decision; and you are welcome to choose this strategy if it meets your business requirements.  It does not always make sense to reexplode a BOM on existing orders; based only on the fact that the BOM has changed.

Best Regards,

DB49

Answers (0)