cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore ASE - Dump of open transaction-log required?

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I am still doing some restore tests.

What about the following case.

Last transaction log was done at 1 o'clock and next will be at 4 o'clock.

At 3 o'clock we detect that we have to restore two 2 o'clock.

So for this restore, I need the transaction log which isn't dumped yet.

My question is, do I have to dump the current transaction log also to a file for the restore procedure?
Or is there another way to included in the restore the current-log file?

In other words, when will the log-file be touched first?
After "online database" command?
If so, I can also do the restore using the original-logfile, right?

Kind regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So I made my decission.
I wrote into our manual, that a transaction dump has to be done before starting with restore-procedure.

I think for the restore the current log-file can be used.

However, if the restore is not working correctly and setting the online DB the log will get mixed I think.

Thefore I would like to go to 100% that log is also available clean.

former_member187136
Contributor
0 Kudos

Christian,

You are right.

Let me tell you what is the practice I reccommend to follow:

1. Take full backup daily during your off business hours if you have the infrastructure like tape/disk or SAN and the data is very critical may be production or development

2 During the business hours take hourly or half an hour once take the transaction backup may be between 9-6 as per your time zone 🙂

3 This mostly helps you to minimise the tran log loss.

4 As you have the week end reorg and update stats running I prefer just before start of production hours on Monday take a full backup and keep it safe so that the data is super clean and secure

If there is any confusion let me know I will explain you still clearly in simpler words

PS:One full backup per day is fine if you can preserve and retain for 7-10 days and delete it later point if you don't need it and don't have infrastructure and disk cost problems 😛 😉

Cheers

Kiran K Adharapuram

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

thx for this.
Backup strategy itself is clear for me.

My quesetion was more, in case of a damage (worst case) I wrote in my documentation also to dump the last (outstanding) transaction log into a file, so that it is also secured.

And I think this decission is right or?

Kind regards

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes.  It makes sense to try to do a "dump tran with no_truncate" as a last-chance effort to capture the most recent transaction logs in the case of disk damage.  It can work in cases where the damage has affected data devices but not the log devices that contain the active part of the transaction log.

Answers (0)