Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Destructive Samples with Handling Units

mkpuyaoan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I just wanted to check if there's anyone who has encountered destructive inspection for samples with Handling Units and how this was managed (via enhancements/operational workaround).

Based on SAP KBA 1771624, destructive sampling will not work for HU due to all or nothing approach. We are currently considering the following options but would like to get your insights on this in case there is a better approach for this problem.

1. During Goods Receipt, sample usage quantity will be packed in separate HU from the rest of the quantity. This option will work provided that sample usage quantity is known before quality inspection. e.g. I will recieve 100 pcs of MAT A, 15 pcs for sample usage will be packed under HU1 and the remaining 85 pcs under HU2. UD stock posting will be performed in 2 steps, 1st for GI to sample usage for HU2 and 2nd for transfer to unrestricted/blocked/etc. for HU2

2. Receive full quantity under 1 HU. Complete quality inspection (results recording, ud and stock posting). Unpack the material to be able to perform GI to sample for the quantity that was used for destructive inspection.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think option 2  1 is your best option.  But I would always use the LAST HU for your samples.  If you have multiple HU's, then the last HU can contain the sample qty's from all the previous HU's.  Sometimes, depending on production sizes, the sample qty might change.  Of course that process can depend on what you are actually making. It might be fine as you described.

So

HU1 - 85 pcs

HU2 - 85 pcs

HU3 - 85 pcs

HU4 - 45 pcs

Craig

mkpuyaoan
Explorer
0 Kudos

I also think option 2 has better chance of working due to sample quantity may vary from time to time and the actual destructive sample quantity information may not be always available during time of Goods Receipt. However, there might be a risk of allocating sample quantity for another use (i.e. sales order, etc.) if Logistics will not be able to split HU quantity for sample usage immediately and issue out from the system. Additionally, this will mean more work to Logistics given that destructive sampling is regularly used in our company.

Would it be possible to address this requirement via user-exit/enhancements?

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm sorry... I meant option 1 is the best option.

But for the reason you mention.  If you receive the sample qty into the last HU, you'll know what the quantity should be.

Craig

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mkpuyaoan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Craig/Vignesh,

Thank you for your providing your inputs on this. I will take them into consideration.

I have another option to address this requirement, that is to (1) receive the material into non HU storage location (2) perform UD and stock posting, i.e. GI to sample usage and unrestricted-use/blocked stocks (3) transfer unrestricted-use/blocked stocks to HU managed location.

Do you think this will be more efficient operationally versus the other 2 options above?

I am trying to find the most effective way to address this requirement with minimum impact to Logistics operation. Most of our materials are managed in HU and destructive sampling is regularly done so users will be performing the steps in SAP a lot.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I doubt that production or warehouse will allow that option.

Usually the HU is required for storing the pallets or other storage containers, into the warehouse.  They usually label the pallets with the HU number and won't want to wait until the materail clears QI to label it or put it away.  Also that would not be a best a best practice.  You want the material to be handled once....produced onto a pallet and put away in the warehouse. No hanging around waiting for quality.

Craig

VigneshV
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

In our company we had similar case in which buyers had in warded materials for new products and quality inspection UD had been delayed for testing results clearance.

So we went with solution of accepting the UD and moving the materials to blocked stock leaving the balance in unrestricted stock for sending to Testing segregating the others in blocked stock.

You can use 343,344 & 350 movements for this.

As it practically difficult for logistics to split the qty and provide each time.

Vignesh.V

mkpuyaoan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Vignesh,

Just to confirm if my understanding is correct with your approach, you first UD stock post the HU quantity to blocked stock. Then unpack and split quantity for destructive testing and other usage. HU for destructive testing is moved to unrestricted use for GI to sampling while the 2nd HU remains in blocked stocks until actual inspection is deemed accepted. Is this correct?

VigneshV
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ya you are right,partial unit that is required for testing is taken from the lot & rest remains in the blocked stock.

Even in UD you pass the required qty in Accepted & Blocked stock based on requirement.

Vignesh.V