cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modules with SAP FI

raxxsana
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have done my certification in SAP FI, a few months ago. But everywhere I go for an interview, I saw that they require FICO consultant. I know, CO was part of this complete module. But now, its separate. So, I wanted to ask whether I have to do CO too in near future? What about any other Module then after, to enhance my knowledge and value as a functional consultant? Only tell the best combinations with SAP FI module, please. I have heard about some BPC module. Wanna hear your opinion..

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Previously there was a consolidated course for FI and CO and that is the reason why generally the term FI-CO consultant is used.

Bust as you said these days both the modules are separated namely FI & CO but;

The general knowledge which required to activate Co module and creating Cost center and Profit Center, Creating internal order creating hierarchy etc. are covered in our TFIN 50 & TFIN 52 course.

In my opinion at this point of time what you need is an opportunity and that is not assured even if you qualify in CO module.

If you surf through Career center, it is flooded with Job / Opportunity related questions.

It is like "What comes first, Chicken or Egg ?" there is no answer to this question.

Same way in the field of SAP there is no answer to the question "what comes first Experience / qualification or Job ?"

Detailed configuration and integration of Co module is just a matter of one project if you are thorough with FI module.

There are many books available of CO module in market or online.

Please read this blog which might help you,

ERP Consultancy (SAP Certification) – Transformation from Introduction Phase to Mature Phase (Part –... 

I hope I could answer your question "whether I have to do CO too in near future?"

Wish you all the best to break this vicious circle.

Regards

Chirag Shah

Former Member

Hi Rahul,

Hardly very consultant in the industry who has adopted to learn CO module first instead of FI. As getting a fresher job in SAP FI is much easier than CO.

Moreover working as a Controlling consultant will make more sense when you have good knowledge about reporting, hierarchies in the domain itself and also you work in the industry as a hardcore processes for example Costing cleark, costing adviser, management reporting accountant, MIS Lead etc.

In order to have experience you shouold have a job and if you literally work then only you can say that you have experience. However education or learning can happen in the job i.e. on the job training is probably more porweful in these cases than just reading theory. However becoming just certified does not guarantee an immediate job offer and not having certification also is not the case that you will not get a job unless you are certified. This is just that some option click for somebody while same option proves wrong for the other person.However many a times I have seen that people who are working as an end user in some sap applications or area they go for certification and in that way they have some user end experince and certification also to be a more bright aspirant in the sap job market.

Dont hesitate to come back if you still need clarification.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

Well, most of the time people say they want FICO Consultant that effectively means they are looking for a person who knows or worked in FICO. That does not means the aspirants core skill is both FI & CO. FI may be the primary skill i.e. FI-GL, FI-AP, FI-AR & FI-AA etc. and CO may be additional and secondary skill.

However the generic expectation is when you say that you are FI consultant, you knows FI for sure however you also knows some basics about Cost Element Accounting, Cost Center Accounting & Internal Order Accounting. As FICO is quite integrated its may not be ideal to say that you knows FI but you dont know anything in CO. You may not be knowing CO-PC & CO-PA and that very much acceptable.

So I would say highlight, your core areas in resume as FI and you might want to say that you are aware about basics in CO for Cost Element Accounting, Cost Center Accounting & Internal Order Accounting.

There are lot of people who are expert even in just one particular sub module in FI, you will say that people expert in SAP FI-New GL, SAP-FI-AA etc. and they are very much avaialble in the market and they prepare their resume accordingly to highlight their core areas and not everything.

Learning multiple modules always helps, especially knowing Controlling for a SAP - FI Consultant is and will always be good, no question about that. But that does not mean that you will not get a job if you consider yourself primary skilled in SAP-FI. This becomes little more difficult when you are a fresher in SAP job market and especially search for SAP FI Jobs in Asia Pacific Region (India, Singapore etc.) as they expect you to work for both FI & CO.

There is no end of learning and enhancing your knowledge is always good but that does not mean you dont get a job with your core skill.

Reach me in case of any doubt or needs any clarification.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish

raxxsana
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Subhasish,

That's a very helpful reply. I really appreciate your suggestion of showing expertise in a sub module, like GL, AR, AP, Asset etc. I will surely do that. There's one more thing, I wanted to know, if you may help me, that What will be the initial job of a SAP FI Consultant? I have heard a lot that we're supposed to do some sort of support work, meaning thereby, I will be handing Client's support tickets and giving application support to them. Can you please elaborate it, as I'm applying for the job of an Associate Consultant - SAP FI in a Big 4 Consulting Firm? What will be my initial job responsibilites, as I suppose these are common, irrespective of where you work?

0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

we both are sailing on same boat... i am also doing SAP FI certification course & looking forward to change the job....i have 6 yrs domain experience in SAP as a super user...

best of luck to you..

Regards,

Dhaval Mistry