cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple BIAR files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All, I am using Import wizard to create a BIAR file in BO XI 3.X. Its a strange thing there are no notes or guide available to read. My concern is, when the BIAR files are created it creates multiple files for the one export. For eg. if my BIAR file name is Test. Filename created is Test.bar, Test1.biar, Test2.biar. Why are the broken down in different filenames. When i import them do i have to import each file one after another, if so what will be the order or sequence to select the file. Which file goes first? or I just need to import one single file and that rest of the .biar files will be automatically imported. Kindly share your experience. I am not able to find any posts or notes in the forum.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, how do i find the file size of the folder?

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you BIAR files are going to be very large, you better make sure you have lots of extra space for the BIAR file as well as TEMP space.   Check the size of your FRS to get approx size for you BIAR files, depending on what you are importing.

Try it out ?

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ajay... If i understand this correct.  So if i point the first file TEST.biar rest of the files TEST1.bar and TEST2.bar are automatically imported. I don't have to do the import for each file separately. Is that correct?

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes that is correct.  You just need to point to the TEST.biar when you are re-importing the system will know this was created with multiple files.  That is when it will validate that all the files created are present.

Regards,

Ajay

PS: If the information provided was helpful, please mark the blog properly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ajay. But say if i want to know the size of one particular folder with instances. How do i check that? If i go to FRS it won't be possible as there are reports all over the place. How do you check without going to FRS?

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The only way to find out is to run a BIAR.  There is no way currently to find out the size of Corporate Folder and all it's content.  The CMS & FRS does work like windows explorer.

Run Import on the Corporate Folder and all Instance to find out size.  Running Import Wizard does NOT have any effect on any Objects.

Ajay

PS: If the information provided was helpful, please mark the blog properly.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are getting multiple BIAR files because of the size of you export.  Import Wizard has a size limit for ONE file, this why SAP strongly recommends using UMT from BI 4.1 to do Incremental &/or live upgrade.

See links for more details

Preparing for upgrade - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

But in what order BIAR file should be used?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lamtech,

The best practise is to create BIAR files with limite size of 500M, to not have that multiple biar created automatically, because you may have corrupted objects, and you may loose dependencies also

Regards,

Saloua

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saloua,

How would check the folder size to make sure its under 500 MB. There will be lot of instances too. Also, do you what order should be used to import them, if multiple files are created.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In order of creation

Regards,

Saloua

Former Member
0 Kudos

How would i know when the file was created, all the files are created at the same time. Is there a way to check the folder size its 500 MB and below?

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The first file will have the Original name, such as TEST.biar.  The other files in sequence will have TEST1.biar, TEST2.biar.,  You will see the difference, if you try it.

You just need to point to the original name you created !!

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ajay... If i understand this correct.  So if i point the first file TEST.biar rest of the files TEST1.bar and TEST2.bar are automatically imported. I don't have to do the import for each file separately. Is that correct?