cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between CE Portal and normal Portal

sun197895
Participant
0 Kudos

Can someone tell me the difference between CE Portal & Normal Portal. I mean, I keep hearing that SAP EP 7.2 is CE portal whereas SAP EP 7.3 is not CE portal.

Can I assume that CE (Composite environment) is a failure model so SAP switched back to Non-CE environment ? Your inputs please.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ThomasHensel
Advisor
Advisor

Hello,

SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 and 7.2 have been introduced as a lean "side-car" approach to complement the SAP NetWeaver standard release. Main reason was to provide composition tools and services based on a enhanced Java technology stack (back the time).

The official successor of SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (or any of the enhancements packages) has been SAP NetWeaver 7.3 (where we brougth various tools together back into one SAP NetWeaver codeline.) Nowadays we recommend the latest release: SAP NetWeaver 7.4 including the Enterprise Portal 7.4.

Customers & Partners who did not want to install the full SAP NetWeaver Java stack had the chance to only go with the Composition Environment - that contained selected portal core services. These are mainly used for application integration / launching scenarios and not supportin full enterprise portal (intranet / extranet) scenarios - that's why there is no KM included.

Hope this helps to get a better understanding.

Regards,

Thomas

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

HI Sun,

With CE 7.1, we have an integrated light Portal that users can use or alternatively, they may integrate their content and applications into a remote corporate portal running on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (Federated Portal Network). You may have a look at the introduction page of the documentation at (see bottom of the page):
http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce10/helpdata/en/45/ff9fc1d8986c06e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Kind regards,
Hemanth
SAP AGS

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ce portal doesn't have KM function. other than that, you can consider they are the same.

ce is not a failure model, it is just a transition from 7.0-->7.3(in terms of  java)

netweaver java 7.0--->netweaver ce--->netweaver java 7.3

sun197895
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Jun for letting me know what features CE does not have.

One last question...

For everything done there will be some purpose,...so why did SAP part with KM in EP 7.2 ? What could be the objective behind this ? And, if there was no KM in 7.2, then did SAP provide any other place where we can place our documents ?

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you have to ask sap.....

my personal opinion:

they just don't have enough manpower innovate/enhance the whole nw java. then some trivial part is chopped to move forward