Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRP recomendation for due date of Production order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have the following case:

- We recive a purchase order from customer for an item, which method is "Make", and it has a BOM,

- A Sales order need to be created, and for that we have to add the Due date. As a simple case, lets say the Customer send a delivery date, when he wants the product (to be honest, in the 80% of the cases the customer doesn't send anything, he is waiting for our reply on the delivery date)

- As per the above written, we need the exact Due date of the Sales order, and that can only be determined by us, because the due date depends on our Production plan, Capacity, and from the Purchase orders we raise for our Vendors. Ok, we can do this with the help of MRP, if we run it on the Sales order, BUT,

- Due to engineering changes (see my unanswered discussion on this theme: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3583213) or quality problems, we need to add a Production order first, beacuse we need to make some changes on the BOM,

- In order to add the Production order, we have to determine the Due date of it (which we don't know, beacuse MRP can determine that, but to be simple, let's say we write in the date we recived from customer)

- After this we run MRP, and restrict Production orders to the one we created, and get the results from MRP

The problem is, that in the MRP results we do see that - for example - one component (a buyed Item) from the Production order can only come in overdue, but we don't know how this reflects the due date of the production order we ran MRP on. And there for, we don't get any suggestions on the delivery date of the Sales order neither.

Is there any solution to this? I've heard that 9.1 SAP has enhanced MRP functions, can it handle this. (We are currently on 9.0. Pl07)

Thanks in advance:

Ferenc Csépány

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ferenc,

For one of your buy item which are already over due on recommendation report, did you set lead time by any chance. System will look in to that as well while purchase raw material.

Regards,

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

Thanks for your reply.

Both the finished good and the purchased component has a lead time and MRP does calculate with the lead time of the buy item. In the results we see the component's "incoming date" in red, so we do know that there will be a delay in the production, but we don't know how is this reflecting the production order of the finished good (on which we ran MRP).

The problem is, that MRP can give you recommendations on what to purchase/make and when, but if you restrict the run on some existing document (sales order, production order) for this document's due date you won't get any suggestions.

Regards,

Ferenc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ferenc,

Yes MRP run is completely based on selection of MRP run and MRP set up on item or item group level.

If you restrict most document, and system won't find any recommendation then it will not give any suggestion.

Which version are you on? On 9.1 MRP is enhanced and lot more selection available.

Regards,

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

We are on 9.0 currently, but planning to upgrade to 9.1.

I've seen a lot of videos and documents showing the new features of 9.1, but from these I don't know wether the enhanced MRP in 9.1 can handle a case which I wrote about. (I hope it can)

What I really miss from SAP B1 (and MRP) is some kind of scheduling-rescheduling function. The problem I wrote about can occur in many ways, not just how I mentioned it.

For example:

There is an MRP run, you get recommendations for purchase orders. According to MRP (based on lead times) everything will arrive in time, so you add these purchase orders. After a few days one of the Vendors indicate that the delivery of the materials (due to some problems) will be delayed by "X" days. How do we know how this delay reflects the whole production?

(Maybe in a very very simple one-level production you can handle this situation manually, but in a multilevel case this is a suffering)

According to my tests, you don't get any suggestions out of MRP in this case neither, so it's like the main problem I wrote about.

Regards,

Ferenc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ferenc,

So far no production planning and scheduling available in B1.

Lot of customers are asking for it though.

Better if you write at idea place so people can also vote for it and SAP may consider this functionality

https://ideas.sap.com/SAPBusinessOne

Lot of partners have custom build solutions for production planning and scheduling.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

Thanks for your answer.

I knew, we aren't the only ones strugling with this, so I will consider writing as an idea.

Regards,

Ferenc