cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we filter the data in the report by using other than prompts( Parameters ).?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I can be able to filter the data in the report by using parameters till now. Is there any scope to filter the data in crystal reports other than by parameters, if there is a possibility please share here. . using crystal reports 2011.

Regards,

Santhosh.S

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can filter data using Record selection by using "Report --> Selection Formulas --> Record" option, where in, you can enter your own filter criteria on database fields.

Please explain more on your requirement.

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghavendra,

I think, the one which you had mentioned "selecting formulas"  and "select expert" are both same. I mean to say is both are using parameters. I want it by using other than parameters to filter the data.

After reading your answer, I'm into another confusion . Difference between select expert and selecting formulas.

-Santhosh

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, both will be for same functionality i.e to filter the data to be displayed in report based on some condition.

But, the difference between Select expert and Selection Formula is that, Select expert allows you to only select database fields (not allowing you to write customized code or our own code).

Where as, using Selection Formula, we can select the database field as in Select Expert option, along with that, we can write our own formula content using existing report formulae also.

You can see the difference by clicking on each of those 2 options.

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raghavendra,

In Select expert also we can write our own formulas after we chosen the field. there we can find formula editor. there we can write our own formulas, which will meet the scenario of selecting formulas

-Santhosh

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Whatever you do in the 'Select Expert' gets converted to a 'Selection Formula' which is accessed via Report > Selection Formulas > Record.

Think of the Select Expert as the 'GUI' and the Selection Formulas as the 'Command Prompt'. More advanced users prefer using Selection Formulas.

Coming back to your original question, if you do not want to filter records via a prompt, you can 'hardcode' values in the Selection Formula if you're reporting directly against tables/views.

If you're reporting against a Command Object (SQL Query added via the 'Add Command' option), then you should add the filter condition as a where clause.

Other ways to filter records are using the Group Selection Formula (similar to the having clause) or a conditional suppression formula for the sections - both of these methods filter records locally.

-Abhilash

raghavendra_hullur
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you are right.

I think Abhilash has explained it more precisely.

But, as I said earlier, both will suffice same functionality in the end, to filter the data.

Thanks,

Raghavendra

Answers (0)