cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Distribution Monitor Export and Import Processes on Multiple Machines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Would you kindly let me know whether it is possible (means officially supported way) to run Distribution Monitor Export and Import processes on different machines?

As per SAP note 0001595840 "Using DISTMON and MIGMON on source and target systems", it says as below.

> 1. DISTMON expects the export and import to be carried out on the same server

I think it means that export and import processes for the same tables must be run on the same machine, is it correct? If yes, Export on the machine A, and then Import those exported data on the other machine B is not the officially supported way... (However, I know it is technically possible.)

Kind regards,

Yutaka

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Yutaka,

Point no. 2 & 3 clarify the confusion. However let me explain it briefly:

Distribution Monitor is used basically in case of migration of large SAP systems (database). It provides the feature to increase parallelism of export and import, distributing the process across available systems.

You have to prepare the system for using DistMon. A common directory needs to be created as"commDir" and in case you use multiple systems for executing more number of processes of export and import then that "commDir" should be shared across all those systems.  And this is what the Point no.1 in KBA 1595840 mentions about. Distribution Monitor will run both the export and import process from the machine which is prepared for using DistMon and DistMon itself will control the other processes i.e. MigMon. No need to start separate MigMon.

For example: You are performing a migration of SAP system based on OS:AIX and DB:DB2 to  OS: HP-UX and DB: Oracle. You need to perform the export using DistMon and you are having 4 Windows servers which can be used for parallel export/import. Once you have prepared the system for DistMon which hosts the "commDir" you'll have to provide the information of involved host machines in the "distribution_monitor_cmd.properties" file. Now when DistMon is executed it will distribute the export and import process across the systems which were defined in "distribution_monitor_cmd.properties" file automatically.

Best regards,

SUJIT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sujit,

Thanks for your clarification. That helps me a lot. But the condition I would like to know is a little different. Please let me explain.

• There are 4 machines, which are 1. Original SAP machine, 2. Export machine (runs only DISTMON -e task), 3. Import machine (only -i task), 4. New SAP machine
  • There are two different properties files. One is the configurations only for export on the machine 2 "distribution_monitor_cmd_export.properties", the other is for import on the machine 3 "distribution_monitor_cmd_import.properties".
  • When DISTMON prep and export task finished, exported dump files (<package>.00, 01, ..., NN) , signal file (<package>.SGN) and some other necessary files are saved into the Export machine's local disk. Then all those files are copied to Import machine's local disk manually. Finally, DISTMON import task runs on the Import machine.

At the condition above, Export and import can be processed on the different machine.

Kind regards,

Yutaka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yutaka Kawabe,

Have you tried that finally ?  Is it worked this way ?

Thanks.

Best Regards, Sergo.