Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC Data Archiving

former_member185181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in process of implementing data archiving process for ECC system built on HANA.

Just wanted to clarify few pointers,

1) Since ECC is on HANA, can we use traditional file archiving using SARA

2) I read about ILM(Data retention and archiving functions), can we use ILM with ECC on HANA

3) What are the databases that can be used for archiving(if not for file based archiving)

4) What about the licensing incase of ILM?

5) If archived to database using ILM,can we bring back the data to HANA

6) Is the procedure same as in ILM incase of HANA as DB(for ECC) or is there different approach incase of ECC on HANA system for data archiving process.

7) I guess NLS is something applicable for BW and not for ECC, am I right in saying this?

Experts, can you please help me on the above.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

appreciate all your responses.

Just last Q,

I have read about concept of hot,cold data in HANA, table loading and unloading etc.Is that applicable only for BW on HANA?

What happens incase of ECC on HANA? Can we unload tables from memory and store on disk so that HANA will load it to memory when any read/write request comes through? please clarify.

Nico1966
Explorer
0 Kudos

Q: I have read about concept of hot,cold data in HANA, table loading and unloading etc.Is that applicable only for BW on HANA?

No, that is also possible for non BW data. One example is the use of so called data aging objects, enabeling you to offload e.g. data of older fiscal years from the HANA memory, see also:  Data Aging - SAP Library

Q:What happens incase of ECC on HANA? Can we unload tables from memory and store on disk so that HANA will load it to memory when any read/write request comes through? please clarify.
A: -> see answer aqbove. Beside that ythere are also other ways to influence what SAP tables needs to be kept in memory or on disk (that more a HANA question, ask that to the HANA SDN space)

Regards, Nico Kuijper

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member185181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great, thanks.. Also when we archive in ECC using ILM,what happens to the data that already got loaded into BW for example. Any deletion indicator is set or do we need to manually delete in BW system?

former_member185181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks and appreciate your response.

so is ILM the best practice for archiving ECC on HANA system?

What about PBS and opentext? are these the ILM stores basically?

ankit298012
Explorer
0 Kudos

PBS and Opentext are the third party solution to retrieve and view archived data. There is a cost involved if you want PBS and Opentext  to be installed on top of SAP.Thanks.

Regards

Ankit

Nico1966
Explorer
0 Kudos

Both Opentext and PBS deliver an Archiveserver that is certified for ILM. The archive servers you want to use in combination with SAP ILM RM or RM needs to understand the ILM commandset like: delete an expired file after e.g. 10 years. SAP ILM also uses Webdav as protocol, and not every archive/content server can handle WebDav.

The ILM store is something else. It is also an archive solution, but only offered by SAP. It is a combination of a SAP ILM certfified archive server (based on WebDav) AND a ILM certified storage layer to store the archived in (in this case the SAP IQ database).

So the different is:

Opentext and PBS deliver a SAP ILM certified archive server, but without the storage layer (you have to purchase also SAP ILM aware storage, like EMC Centerra, Netapp Filer, etc).

The SAP ILM Store is a SAP ILM certified archive sever Including ILM aware storage (SAP IQ).
You can use this solution to store both ILM RM archives as well as NLS data from BW.
For more details, see this document: http://sapinsider.wispubs.com/Assets/Articles/2014/October/SPI-archiving-in-the-age-of-big-data

Best regards, Nico Kuijper

Nico1966
Explorer
0 Kudos

1) Since ECC is on HANA, can we use traditional file archiving using SARA
Answer: Yes, HANA is a in memory database, you can still use (traditional) ADK archiving in an ECC system running on HANA.

2) I read about ILM(Data retention and archiving functions), can we use ILM with ECC on HANA
Answer: Yes, ILM can be used on HANA, basically SAP ILM RM is an extention of the old fashion data archiving process, extending it with functionalities like retentionmanagement, data destruction, legel hold and e-discovery

3) What are the databases that can be used for archiving(if not for file based archiving)
Answer: I dont quit grasp this question. You can archive data from any ECC system using any type of database.
If you mean, can we store archivesfile in a database, then there are two options as far as i know: the SAP Contentserver, storing archive files in the SAP DB database or the new ILM Store solution, storing archives in the  SAP IQ database.

4) What about the licensing incase of ILM?

Answer: You can use SAP ILM RM free of charge for archiving SAP HR data. For all other archiving objects not related to HR, you have to pay a licencefee. Once you activate SAP ILM with tcode SFW5, you need to be aware that you might need to pay licenses if you use it in a productive system

5) If archived to database using ILM,can we bring back the data to HANA
Answer: I dont know what you mean with 'bring back', but you can access/retrieve archived SAP data in HANA.

Reloading archived data is seldomly supported by SAP, except in BW (but there we dont use ILM but NLS (Nearline Storage)

6) Is the procedure same as in ILM incase of HANA as DB(for ECC) or is there different approach incase of ECC on HANA system for data archiving process.
Answer: the operational archiving process is the same: using transaction SARA. The customising can be different 

7) I guess NLS is something applicable for BW and not for ECC, am I right in saying this?
Answer: Yes, NLS (is only for the archiving of cubes, DSO's, etc in a BW system.

Hop this answers your questions.
Best reagrds, Nico Kuijper

former_member185181
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

any response please?