cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patterns in Selection Option Variables in Analysis for OLAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

My organization is in the process of moving from BEx Web Analyzer queries to Analysis for OLAP reports (we're on BI Platform 4.1 Support Pack 2 Patch 3). We are using the pre-existing BEx queries as data providers which has worked well for the most part.

An issue we're running into involves variables of the Selection Option type. Many of our users have a vertical list of values for which they want to run a report. We have been teaching them to copy/paste values into Microsoft Word and use the Replace functionality to get them into a horizontal list separated by semicolons (100000001; 100000002; etc). Pasting these values into Analysis does not work the same as it did in BEx and I'm trying to find a similar workaround so we don't have to create a new variable and change over 50 pre-existing queries. Any ideas?

Regards,

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gowdatimma_ramu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Michael and John,

We plan to support entering multiple values for Selection Option variables with BI 4.1 SP06 releases planned for June.

Regards,

Ramu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ramu,

Thank you for delivering on your promise. We have upgraded to BI 4.1 SP06 and while the multiple semicolon-separated values are now accepted by our pre-existing variable on the Prompt Screen, the report now returns a message that "Dimension Student does not have any master data for "100265819" even though it runs just fine for the same value in BEx Web Analyzer. What could the problem be?

Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

After trying several different ways I discovered that there cannot be spaces in between semicolon-separated values as there was in BEx. When I input "100211547;100222131" it works while "100211547; 100222131" it does not, for future reference. Thanks for SAP for delivering the update.

Michael

gowdatimma_ramu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting your findings!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

joneil15
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes, we are having the same issue with Analysis OLAP.  SAP's response is to use Multiple Single variables.  A number of customers have requested this functionality on idea place, but it is confusing to interpret how Idea Place works for the Analysis product.

Here is a link to the request.  Analysis OLAP - Selection Option variables : View Idea

The request above has been "Under Review" for some time now, with the next Idea Review date of January 31, 2015.

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks John. I did see the Idea Place post and added my thoughts there as well. The problem is we don't have time to wait for SAP to possibly enhance Analysis for OLAP so we have to take matters into our own hands. The question now is how to best accomplish this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are considering resolving this issue by changing the variable parameter in the RSZGLOBV table as described in . We will test this in the Sandbox environment first, but has anyone else tried this? I will report back with results.