cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Color Printer" flag not taking effect

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a number of Forms that have a color logo included. However for a number of printers we do not want to print in color, but rather print in back and white only.

In order to achieve this the output devices for these printers were set to with the "color printer" attribute set to blank. However when we print to these devices the output is still in color.

Does anyone know how to ensure that the output is in black and white only?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Luke,

If your printer is PCL printer,you can change it's default output color mode

menu > ... > PCL menu > output color.Pls check if you set it as black and white.

Best Regards

Jie Bai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jie Bai,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I think you have misunderstood my issue slightly. The form is already printed in color, however I want it to be printed in black and white.

The device type is POST2, and the attributes in SPAD for this output device have the "Color printer" box unchecked.

Regards,

Luke

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

marcrubio76
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you finally got an answer for the issue? I've a similar problem.. Have the color flag unchecked, but printings are always in color.

And as a curious test, if I print anything and check the values of the printer (B&W), I get B&W printing. But if I don't check, the printing is in color...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Luke,

the "color printer" flag in SPAD was created mostly due to PCL5 color implementation in printers. When you sent PCL5 color commands to b+w PCL5 printers, they would not convert this output automatically to black+white (or grayscale) but it would end up in an unreadable (mostly solid black) mess...

So SAP would want to tell the PCL driver "send PCL5 color commands: YES/NO". This is what the flag does. For PostScript printers, there never was such a problem, since every PS interpreter automatically converts a colored image to b+w printout (this is an inherent quality of PS). So PS bitmap output does not react on the flag.

That's why your POST2 logo output will still be color when Color Printer = NO in SPAD. You could switch off color output generally on these printers, using printer-specific settings as suggested by Jie.

Regards,

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your guidance, I have one final issue that perhaps you can assist with.

I used the device wizard and assigned the printer specific device type (CNA52S), then I set the Print Options, with "Color" disabled and "Monochrome" enabled and Preselection checked.

If I then print a smartform:

1.  enter the device name into the pop-up

2. press print

==>  it is prints in color

However if I print a smartform:

1. enter the device name into the  popup

2. AND click on the "Additional Options" button,  I am not changing any options and can see the Monochrome option is preselected correctly.

3. press print

==> it will print in Monochrome

Any idea why the print options are not being picked up automatically?