cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the rdisp/mshost parameter have to match TCPIP hostname?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everyone,

We run Linux for system z appservers and DB2 under z/os database servers.

For our networks, the naming convention here is set up where TCPIP hostname = rdisp/mshost = DNSname = primary interface.

Right now our rdisp/mshost parameter in our appservers say George.  The TCPIP hostname says George.  The DNS entry for George resolves to 10,10,10,10 which happens to be our primary network interface attached to George.

Life is good.  When we have secondary interfaces, we add an appropriate suffix to the dns entry and have it resolve to another address.  For example, a gigabit fiber interface with large frames would resolve to 10.10.120.10.

Notice no routes.  The only route is the default route.

But the time has come to change the network.  The network folks are putting in some new hardware.  And we want to move some of the traffic that goes to hostname George to a network with a suffix of t1. That is we would like to have the rdisp/mshost paramter say Georgt1, but still have the actual tcpip hostname called George.  Is there anything inside of SAP that would prevent us from doing this?

Ron Foster

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ron,

changing the SAP message server hostname would not be enough. The message server is part of an SAP Central Instance (ASCS,SCS) and any change should be done for the whole instance.

I expect that the Central Instance is running on a z/OS LPAR, not zLinux - right ?

The recommendation in the IBM Business Continuity Guide for SAP on IBM System z s to setup a virtual hostname (VIPA) which can be moved in a high availability/failover scenario and to use OSPF to get the best available network connection. Check the BC guide for details:

http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/iapacs07.pdf

Once you have a virtual hostname, rename the SAP instance profiles by replacing the old hostname with the new one in the file name, i.e.  ABC_ASCS00_oldhost -> ABC_ASCS00_virthost

Second step is to replace the hostname of the profile parameters (including DEFAULT.PFL) like
rdisp/mshost, enque/serverhost, SAPLOCALHOST, SAPGLOBALHOST ...

Rainer Pfister

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rainer,

Our Central Instance is running on a Linux for zSeries lpar.

How does that change things?

By the way, way back when we first started running SAP, I think there was an IBM book called SAP communications guide, that gave  examples of how to set up a network with App Servers connected to z/os system.  Would you happen to know how I find that manual?

Thanks

Ron

Harald
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Ron,

I guess the book that you are referring to is the - now outdated -

SAP R/3 on DB2 UDB for OS/390 and z/OS: Connectivity Guide (SC33-7965-03).

The current recommendations for a highly available network setup for SAP on z Systems are contained in the guide:  Business Continuity for SAP on IBM System z, Edition 12/2014, SC33-8206-07 that Rainer already mentioned in his reply.

best regards, Harald