cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow users to execute Own Jobs ... Yes or no?

sergiordz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello

What do you guys recommend about allowing users tu schedule own jobs?

I mean, a user can schedule a job by running a program in background mode and then schedule it as a job that he can later check in  SMX

But, as Basis administrator  what´s your opinion  about letting users schedule jobs?

Thank you

Sergio

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sergiordz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Savas, Nathan

Thank you for your answers .

I agree with the second comment  of Savas, a basis consultant only will have the management of the jobs but will not always know what exactly the program does.

My question is also about if it is convenient that a user can have the capability to schedule a program in background mode ( when a user run a program in background mode he/she can schedule that execution, and then he/she reviews the job  in Transaction SMX, correct me if I´m wrong)

In this case the Basis admin is kinda blind  about how  many schedule jobs really are in the system

Thanks!

Sergio

S0022314014
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I am not a BASIS admin but what I believe is, all the BATCH Jobs should be managed by BASIS. A minor mistake in an ABAP Query, an error in extracting a huge amount of data and auto-distributing it to a distribution list etc are ordinary mistakes people do. After going live, all of the batch jobs should be rescheduled and handled by BASIS team. They will run he jobs when they will not have huge impacts on the performance.

Cheers

Savas

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I disagree. 

As a functional consultant, I know how the programs (in my area) work better than a BASIS colleague.  If I need them executed, there is a legitimate business need for that to happen and it doesn't make sense to hand that job off to someone else.  Maybe 1 time out of 100 someone does something stupid but only that person should lose their batch job privileges, not all of us.

S0022314014
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nathan

I believe two things are mixed up, probably because of my messsage which easily could be misunderstood:

Running which program, which period, which cases etc. will be obviously decided by the functional consultant. (I am talking about the periodic batch jobs) Yes, you are right and the answer is obvious: A basis consultant will never know what to run.

In large scale projects, there will be hundreds of such programs, therefore a basis program is the best person to distribute them in a time scale. Otherwise, there can always be performance issues.

Regards

Savas

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ahhhh, you're referring to recurring batch jobs.