cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMP3 - AppDevelopment (Agentry):how to use GCM (Google cloud Messaging) for Agentry Application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have a question on SMP3 and AppDevelopment (Agentry): how to use GCM (Google cloud Messaging) for Agentry Application for PUSH notification

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Pratik,

You need to be more specific as to what you are trying to do before somebody can help.  What Agentry application are you using?  What version of Agentry?  What are you hoping to accomplish?  Thanks,

Jason Latko - Senior Product Developer at SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply, I am trying to implement GCM(Google Cloud Messaging) on SMP3 for Work Manager 6.1. i read that GCM is used for PUSH notification from server to android client.i am using Android Agentry client 7.0.5.

I have created project using Google Developer Console and got API key and Project no., and also enabled GCM service from SMP management cockpit. so i want to display notification on my android device if any work order is added in the back-end  by using GCM.

Thanks and Regards,

Pratik Chavan

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Pratik,

This is not really an Agentry question as you are creating a separate standalone native application to receive notifications about Work Orders.

Agentry uses GCM only as a fallback if the Agentry push fails but the client is still "connected" to the server.  If the client is not connected or running then no push attempt would be made either directly to the client or through GCM.

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Thanks for response in quick manner,

I am trying to implement GCM(Google Cloud Messaging) on SMP3 for Work Manager 6.1.  Can you provide me the step or what configuration i need to do from backend side & agentry side for the GCM Implementation.

Thanks and Regards,

Pratik Chavan.

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Pratik,

Let me walk you through the flow with the assumption that the user is on an Android device and "connected" to the Agentry server.

1. An emergency workorder is created in SAP and assigned to the technician. 
  2. The SAP backend system will notify the Agentry server via an XML message that there is a workorder to send.
  3. Agentry will get the details and if the user is connected attempt to send the workorder to the device via the Push mechanism
  4. If the push fails to reach the Agentry client, the Agentry server will send a GCM message to the user
  5. When the user returns to the Agentry client, the normal push processing / fetch will occur to receive the workorder from the server assuming the push retrys are in effect.

So, essentially you should not have to do anything to get the GCM to work as a secondary notification mechanism.

If you are looking to do something else with GCM that would be outside of Agentry.

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the answer.

---Pratik Chavan.

Answers (0)