Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerous Goods - Limited Quantities

former_member394223
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some help regarding SAP's Dangerous Goods Limited Qty functionality.

From what I understand, limited qty values are stored in the DG Master and, in terms of the DG regulations, describe the qtys up to which a material may be granted an exemption from full DG regulation.

But the question is :   Does this relate to any functionality in SAP?  I can't see anything.

My business requirement is to produce a 'Limited Qty ADR' document for when shipping small qtys of DG.  But how can this be automatically generated based on the Limited Qty settings in the DG master.

I believe an 'Exemption' flag can only be set in the DG appendix table (LIPSDG).......so is the only way to set this flag via a custom DG check function module??

Even then it would be highly complex to work out if it qualifies for a limited qty exemption or not!!

Appreciate any hints / tips.

Thanks

Guy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor

Dear Guy

the topic of Limited quantity can be split in three parts:

1.) DG filling

2.) DG Check

3.) DG printing in SD documents

Please check the many thread sin this FORUM.

E.G.:

Check may be "Best Practise" and other sources.

After reading SAP standard documentation (SAP Online help) and checking the thread I hope that the answer to the question:

"My business requirement is to produce a 'Limited Qty ADR' document for when shipping small qtys of DG. But how can this be automatically generated based on the Limited Qty settings in the DG master."

should be clear

C.B.

PS: if i remember correct: there is no "default check method" delivered by SAP in this context; so the most important finding is: you need to do it by your own (programming) (and check routines etc.)

PPS: second finding: this type of exemption must be reflectde in "documents" in the SAP SD process (to explain customer any many other why the transpor has been domne like that and not the other way; and there regulations in place about the "Labels" (on truck etc.)

The use of "LQ" is one "option" to save money (I can not explain the legal reasons etc.; this is quite complex in this context) but thisis the main reason why companies try to use the "LQ" exemption if allowed

former_member394223
Participant
0 Kudos

Christoph,

Thanks for your thorough reply on this and the other thread (Dangerous Goods LQ & RQ).

They are probably the most helpful responses I've ever had on SCN!!!!

So I think I am a little bit closer today 🙂

There are a couple of things that I'm still not clear on:

1.  What is the difference between Limited Qty and Excepted Qty??  I can't find a definitive explanation.

2.  I still consider that the LQ check would be a complex one.  On the DG master we can detail: Inner Packaging Qty, Outer Packaging Qty & Gross Weight.  There is not a simple 'Qty' field.

So unless I have misunderstood, our new (custom) check method would have to interrogate the packing / HU information in a delivery (possibly having to drill down through HU hierarchy) to work out whether or not the qty falls below the qtys detailed on the DG Master.

With regards to my business requirement - the 'Limited Qty ADR'   how does this sound as an initial approach:

Develop LQ ADR Form (Based on Outbound Delivery, I believe there is a print program which makes all the DG data available)

Develop custom check method for LQ

Use check method to update LIPSDG

Trigger our new doc based on LIKP-CONT_DG

...but set a requirement so that doc is only processed if 'Exemption' flag is set in LIPSDG

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Guy

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hallo Guy,

may becheck as well:

Quite  nice document

1.  What is the difference between Limited Qty and Excepted Qty??  I can't find a definitive explanation.

may be  check

Limited and Excepted Quantities of Dangerous Goods | The Quick Blog - Quick Global...

or

Transportation of Dangerous Goods FAQs - Transport Canada

(this is the canadian regulation)

but you will find lot of similar links by just using "google".

and: DGTMD: Exceptions and Special Regulations - Dangerous Goods Management (EHS-DGP) - SAP Library

2.) 2.  I still consider that the LQ check would be a complex one.  On the DG master we can detail: Inner Packaging Qty, Outer Packaging Qty & Gross Weight.  There is not a simple 'Qty' field.

So unless I have misunderstood, our new (custom) check method would have to interrogate the packing / HU information in a delivery (possibly having to drill down through HU hierarchy) to work out whether or not the qty falls below the qtys detailed on the DG Master.

Solution depens may be on release you use. May be check: Exceptions to Dangerous Goods Regulations - Dangerous Goods Management (EHS-DGP) - SAP Library

In one SAP release changes have been prepared (may be EnhPack 3 or 6) in this area

https://www.consolut.com/en/s/sap-ides-access/d/s/doc/H-PRIHAZLIM

https://www.consolut.com/en/s/sap-ides-access/d/s/doc/YP-RELNEHS_603_OPSEHSCL_DG1

and similar links might be helpful as well

The topic is more or less related to this:

I still consider that the LQ check would be a complex one.  On the DG master we can detail: Inner Packaging Qty, Outer Packaging Qty & Gross Weight.  There is not a simple 'Qty' field.

This is the "legal" content (on high level)); It is a combination of "inner", "outer" package and gross weight and can therefore be maintained on "material master" level (in the DG master more precisely) as EHS can not deliver this direct as this information is related to the "material" (but because of the importance SAP is supporting you here)

3.)

develop LQ ADR Form (Based on Outbound Delivery, I believe there is a print program which makes all the DG data available)

Develop custom check method for LQ => this is the right option

Use check method to update LIPSDG => not 100% sure (i did not check our system)

Trigger our new doc based on LIKP-CONT_DG

...but set a requirement so that doc is only processed if 'Exemption' flag is set in LIPSDG

Principly this is the right approach; but according to my knowledge:

I believe there is a print program which makes all the DG data available) => this is wrong; in most cases the "print" part is very customer specific; there is nothing (according to my knowledege) as part of standard

Hope this helps

C.B.

PS: as mentioned in many threads. there is no consulting OSS note available for DG; For SVT, WWI, report distribution or other stuff really quite nice consulting OSS notes are available.

PPS: take a look may be on this document: http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00027/09952003-20130320.PDF

It is called "MSDS" (but it is not) but you will find "typical" informaiotn on documents

Similar documents as:

http://www.epestsupply.com/images/Products/labels/spectracide-ant-shield-outdoor-killing-stakes-msds...

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET

PAY ATTENTION: THIS KIND OF "Exemption" is heavily dependent on regulation (ADR, rules are different to IATA etc.)

PPS: ADR regulation: may be check Carriage of Dangerous Goods Manual - Main Exemptions

On top I identified this nice link as well: Transports Friend - Limited and Excepted Quantities

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: if you read all the "DG regulation " stuff small hint from my side: if you are interested in this kind of regulation: according to what I have heard in the market you get more money if you work as an "DG expert" in comparison if you work as SAP consultant

(but the risks are higher, If you do wrong in DG management you will go to jail (without any chance !), if you are wrong on SAP EHS project may be you are fired but nothing more etc )

Answers (0)