cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BODS Business Obects Data Services Trial Version

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been able to download the Business Objects suite trial version but can't find the BODS module trial version download. Can anyone help with it? Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member18162
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Bobby,

Just a quick note here, Data Services is no longer referred to as BusinessObjects Data Services, but is now SAP Data Services

That aside, there isn't a "trial version" of Data Services.

Do you have a valid maintenance contract with SAP?

If so, when you log into the SAP Support Portal > SAP Software Download Center > use the "Search for Software" (look for the magnifying glass near the right-side of the page) > and in the Search Terms type "Data Services 4.2"...do you get any results?

If you can see the software that way, you can download it and then down load a temporary license key to use with it.

You would go to "Keys, Systems, & Installations" via the Support Portal, and in a column on the right-hand side you should see "Analytics Solutions from SAP - Temporary License Key". Click on that link > open the zip file that is offered > and you should see a .pdf called "Temporary Keys & Information". Inside this .pdf you will find the temp key you'd need to proceed with the installation.

If you are not able to see any Data Services 4.2 software via the search method above, and Data Services 4.2 isn't under the "My Companies Software" section when you log in, you will need to speak to your account representative to find out how you could gain access to the download.

I see you look to be considering the BI Platform. You might want to know that although Data Services 4.2 is supported with the BI Platform, because the BI Platform is patched at a different rate than Data Services, it is actually recommended you use Information Platform Services (IPS) with Data Services instead.

For example, if you used the BI Platform and had to install a patch to fix something for Webi users, this patch, if not certified for Data Services, could break things for your Data Services users. This is why IPS is the best choice.

Best of luck to you!
Julie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Julie, you're my hero of the month. You have no idea how that made my life so easy...and at the same time complicated again thanks to SAP. Just when I thought I'd download BODS which is now in like the third name change on the sap service portal, you threw the twist on Information Platform Services. So downloaded the Data Services 4.2 (apparently there's a server and client) AND then I downloaded (its actually downloading now)  the following:

SAP Information Steward 4.2 (not sure if I need this or not but I'm downloading it anyway)

SBOP Information Plat Services 4.1

So please let me know if I'm going about the right way regarding the downloads as I'm am now seriously convinced there's a very evil entity here who makes finding most downloads downright miserable.

Then comes the twist about the keys. So I went to the right side as you suggested (Analytics Solutions from SAP - Temporary License Key)and started the download of the keys. It dumped a zip file with the following keys:

Data INtegrator 11.7

Financial Consolidation

Galigeo (APOS)

ICS5

InfiniteInsight

Metify

PA2.0

PCM

Planning

Text Analysis

Are any of these the right keys? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? I couldn't find any other link that would give me the correct keys.

Looking at it objectively: I have two goals here. 1: to connect a trial HANA installation to an SQL Server so I can bring in the data into HANA and do some analytic presentations for the higher ups to clap at. My entire snowflake schema sits on the SQL Server so I need to make the connection no matter what.

2nd goal: is to get certified in HANA and for that I've been told BODS is muy importante. Now that you threw in the Information Platform Services then I guess I need to get cracking on that as well. So now its doubly important that I get all of this working.

What makes this all complicated is that HANA trial installation expires on the 30th of this month and I'm nowhere near getting the execs their presentation. Also if I need to get my learn on for my certification then I'd have to get this resolved yesterday. So I'm desperately in need of help but I don't have any internal support and I'm on my own. Hopefully you can resolve my last issues of the keys. Having said that, thanks so much already for your help thus far. Looking forward to your response.-Bobby

former_member18162
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bobby,

I'll try to make this explanation as simple as possible; however this is really a complicated subject, especially if you're trying to get this done by the end of the month.

In order to use the Data Services Designer client (this is the ETL tool), you must have both the Data Services Server piece in place, as well as a Central Management Server (CMS) which DS uses for authentication purposes.

So the CMS is the first piece to get working. You can obtain one either via BI Platform or Information Platform Services (IPS). If you are not using any of the BI client software, like Webi, then use IPS as it was created specifically for Data Services.

It is really important you choose compatible versions of IPS and DS. Check out KBA 1740516 for that information.

You also need to be certain you meet the hardware/software requirements for IPS & DS. Consult the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) for each (use the "Find Product Versions" search on the upper right-hand side):

https://apps.support.sap.com/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/support/pam/pam.html?

Note: The requirements for IPS are the same as for the BI Platform.

Before you install anything, you need to consult the DS documentation. Don't just breeze through this stuff, the documents have a lot of important information:

http://help.sap.com/bods/

Regarding the license keys, when you open the zip you need to look at the "Temporary Keys & Information 12-03-2015.pdf". There is a temporary key in this document needed for Data Services.

You don't need a key for IPS as there is one already embedded in the installation.

Based upon what you are saying you want to do, I don't think you need Information Steward.

About HANA, I cannot really comment on it as I don't support it.

When you're ready to install, if you experience errors, make certain you've read the DS documentation. You can also check the Knowledge Base as there is a lot of useful information there:

http://service.sap.com/xsearch

Beyond that, issues need to be logged in a support incident via the SAP Support Portal.

Cheers!
Julie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good morning Julie (not sure what's your time zone): Thanks once again for a detailed answer. I've been waiting for it all weekend. Very shortly I'll go thru each of the suggestions you've mentioned. Having said that I feel I've been lazy not reading the pdf's.

As far as the hardware goes, I bought a used HP Proliant blade server (2X3ghz Quad Core Procs with 32GB RAM running Windows 2012 Server). SAP has made HANA available through SUSE Linux ready made installation. I just need VMware (virtual machine) installed and I can switch on the HANA. I was also able to install Business Objects without any issues. I'm hoping if any, the issues will at least not be with hardware requirements.

Thanks for being so nice. I'll get to working on this very shortly. Take care nor now.

B

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julie: thanks again for such a detailed response. I was able to download Data Services and install it. I was not able to install Information Platform Services. It kept asking me to first install Information Platform Services as a pre-requisite which is what I was installing anyway but in the end I didn't need it. I did need the Central Management Console which I think get installed through IPS but I installed a trial version of BOBJ and it gave me the CMC.

For others who run into issues like me just know that no amount of documentation seems to be enough for the installation. My objective is to move data from MS SQL server database to HANA and it took a while. I first created a repository using the Repository manager through the BODS, then I configured the repository through CMC and then used Data Designer to work on connecting my SQL server database to HANA.

Please know that I was not able to get BODS working with SQL Server 2014. But it could also be due to the fact that I installed my SQL Server using windows authentication. Please use the mix mode authentication and use 'SA' logon anytime you want to use SQL Server credentials.

Julie I owe you big time. Thanks again and take care.

SP

Answers (0)