cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPPHIRE / ASUG (Orlando) questions / tips

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Would anyone share their tips and tricks for the SAPPHIRE / ASUG conference attendees? Based on my TechEd and Florida experience, I'll start:

- Wear comfortable shoes (this is the most important one!)

- Plan your agenda ahead of time and make sure to have a "plan B" for the sessions. But leave some time for exploration too.

- Your colleagues will love it if you bring some free stuff back.

- I never travel to FL without a jacket. There is always some room with AC set to freezing temperatures.

Some specific questions:

- What is the difference between 'Lecture Presentation' and 'Theater Presentation'? Also how are 'Demo Station' and 'Demo Theater' different?

- Is there a map / layout available somewhere? I'm trying to figure out how far the rooms are from each other (at TechEd it was sometimes a good 10 min. walk from one side to another).

- It looks like there are two (or more) buildings - the one labeled Convention Center on Google maps is north of International Dr. And the other one (in the SW corner) is Civic Center. Is the event only in the Convention Center building or is it more spread out?

- How is wifi at the event (it was pretty bad at TechEd in 2013)?

- On Thursday is there some baggage service to store the bags or send them to the airport?

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, I highly recommend watching these videos SAPPHIRE NOW + ASUG Annual Conference - Know Before You Go 2015 - YouTube

They are in total only 10 minutes long but very good advice

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh, cool! Thanks, Tammy!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jelana, it seems you got some very good responses and advices already.

The conference hall is the building that connects directly with The Hilton. As of the WiFi, it is always spotty. It depends on who your wireless service provider is. I have Verizon Wireless and the reception is very good. So I never have to use the conference WiFi.

Another tip I will say is to travel light. I won't carry anything bigger than my MacBook Air. Your backpack will become heavier and heavier as the time goes by.

Hope this helps.

simon

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies, ladies! Tammy, I thought Rosen Center service was for the hotel guests only, is it open to anyone?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anyone can use the baggage service at the Rosen - it opens at 7:00 am, I think.

I am usually the one dragging my bag from the Hilton so I can check it in at the Rosen the day I depart

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jelena - yes, it's super-cold inside the Convention Center.  I haven't found a map yet but I am sure one will be posted soon.

On this:

Q: What is the difference between 'Lecture Presentation' and 'Theater Presentation'? Also how are 'Demo Station' and 'Demo Theater' different?

A: Lecture presentations are like at TechEd when you listen to a lecturer present slides - usually this is NOT on the show floor - they are on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Theater presentations and Demo stations are on the show floor.

Q: - Is there a map / layout available somewhere? I'm trying to figure out how far the rooms are from each other (at TechEd it was sometimes a good 10 min. walk from one side to another).

A: Not yet; rooms are not too far from each other if you are doing the lecture sessions.  The show floor is big.

You can see Welcome to the Orange County Convention Center</title><link rel="stylesheet" href... - education rooms are on South Side - e.g. S330x

Typically education /lecture sessions are on levels II and III - lower level is the show floor.

Q: - It looks like there are two (or more) buildings - the one labeled Convention Center on Google maps is north of International Dr. And the other one (in the SW corner) is Civic Center. Is the event only in the Convention Center building or is it more spread out?

A: If you stick with the lecture / show floor it is all on the South Side of the convention center (to my knowledge) unless you have meetings in the Hilton which is on the walkway.  Sometimes executive meetings are on the North side of the convention center and yes, that is a hike.

Q: How is wifi at the event (it was pretty bad at TechEd in 2013)?

A: Typical conference wifi; my experience is wifi in the lecture sessions is better than during the keynotes or on the show floor

Q: On Thursday is there some baggage service to store the bags or send them to the airport

A: Usually yes - but my choice is to drop my bag off at the Rosen Centre (across the street) and have them send my bag to the airport for $10 - they will check in the bag for you if you drop it off 4 hours before the flight.  Much more convenient and you just need to pick up your bag at baggage claim when you leave.

Bring a water bottle...tip from

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

One more tip from Jim - use the PediCab service when going between hotels, restaurants and convention center -  Convention Sponsorship Opportunity | Pedicab Advertising | Orlando pedicab company | Daytona Beach p...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jelena,

ASUG and SAPPHIRE are in the North/ South side of the Orange County Convention Center (OCCC). They usually offer a map/ floor plan in the registration materials. It is huge, I think way more spread out than TechEd; after all, there are ~ three times as many people onsite as in Las Vegas. Bring your FitBit/ other fitness device and amaze your friends and family with the thousands of steps you will walk each day depending on how many times you traverse from the SAPPHIRE side to the ASUG side  or to Mentor meetings and back again.

Someone who goes to SAPPHIRE will need to clarify all those session types. ASUG sessions are lectures.

The wifi connectivity is variable. In the keynote hall it can be pretty iffy.

Yes, they usually offer a place to check bags. The Mentor room works well, too, with no queue to reclaim

Gretchen