cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call a windows PB app from a linux/php website

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the oddball question.

We have a website built on a Linux / PHP stack and we'd like to be able to call a function in a PB application (passing data) and get return data (possibly a blob).

I've done the opposite, have PB make a web service call using MSXML.XMLHTTP, but is there any way to do the reverse?

TIA,

Steve Woitkowski

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve;

No problem if you have PB 11.0 or (preferably) a higher versions as a PB Classic NVUO can now be published as .Net Web Service. Once that is done, the PHP web page can make a WS call to your PB NVUO & have it return the BLOB.

Going a little further, your PB Client application could also be refactored to get the Blog via WS call - thus reusing the Web Service's code as well.

Food for thought.

HTH
Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Chris. I'll look into that further. I have no experience with .net web services but I'll research.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

I built a small .net web service, but when I called the WSDL URL, I got an HTTP 404.3 error. I tried running ServiceModelReg -I (Windows Communication Foundation Installation Utiliy), but now I get an HTTP 404.17.

I'm running PB 12.5 and Windows 7 64 bit. Any ideas?

TIA

Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve;

Hmmm ... that's a weird error.

I use PB 12.1 and 12.5.1 all the time to build & test my current web services on W7, W8, W2008R2 and W2012 and they all work great the 1st time. I even test the WS's using PB 12.6 as well because of my WS Framework I hoist on SourceForge.

Ahhhh ... Now I see - you are using PB.Net whereas I am using PB Classic to build my WS components. Your error is from the WCF realm which indicates to me that PB.Net may not be deploying the WS's properly or its not configured properly in IIs.  

1) Anything strange in the PB.Net build logs?

2) Is your WS just a simple (ie: Hello World) test?

3) Can you run the WS through the MS.Net test bench?

4) Have you tried using the WCF Test Client utility?

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using Classic too, and the deploy did not return any errors (once I enables IIS on my machine).

It is a simple "hello world" test. The service has one function TestFunc which accepts a string param and returns a string that adds "You passed " + as_passed

I'm going to try another machine. I've got PB 11.5 on an XP machine that I can try, or maybe I'll install 12.5 from scratch on a Win7 32 bit..

Former Member
0 Kudos

My development PC is W7 64 bit and again no issues running the PB Classic WS's after a deployment.

You might want to check the Application Pool in IIs that PB has mapped your WS to:

• For PB 12.x, it should specify "PBAppPool" application pool with .Net 2.0 and "Classic" for the pipeline mode.
  • For PB 12.5.x, it should specify "PBDotnet4AppPool" application pool with .Net 4.0 and  "Classic" for the pipeline mode.

Former Member
0 Kudos

looks right I think...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the Pool's Pipeline mode set to "Classic"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes

Former Member
0 Kudos

=> called the WSDL URL

How are you attempting to do this .. through what mechanism?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm just copying and pasting the WSDL URL from the project object's "Objects" tab.

http://localhost/test_webservice/n_webservice.asmx?WSDL

Thanks for all of the assistance you're providing. I really appreciate it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

...into a browser

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Where did you get the WSDL URL from?

I get mine from the PB Classic's WS Project, as follows:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. That's the same place I'm getting mine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you check your deployment in IIs by looking at the folders created by the PB IDE's project on deployment?

For example, in my WS screen capture I posted above .. here is what my Folder structure looks like in Windows Explorer within IIs:

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'll check that.

I created and deployed another web service project on my PB 11.5 (XP) machine and it worked fine.

The WSDL URLK returned this...

Is that correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, the WSDL should look something like this ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

The bin folder is populated. The Dev folder does not exist.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmmm .. If the WS works on XP ... can you try running your PB IDE on W7 as "ADMIN" - then try deploying the WS & testing it again?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just tried that - same result, HHTP Error 404.17

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh yeah ... I forgot to mention that the folder structure under your xxxxxxx_Root  will mirror the location of where your PB development's Workspace folder is located. In my case its in "C:\Dev\PB12\STD_FC_LDAP" ... so the same folder structure is recreated by PB Classic when you deploy to IIs. Thus, you should see your same development folder structure mirrored under your xxxxxxx_Root!  

Former Member
0 Kudos

I created a new workspace in a subfolder on my C drive, create a new WS app/project and deployed -- same result. I'm stumped. Maybe it's a problem with IIS on my machine. I'm going to try a different machine.

arnd_schmidt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks like a bad IIS setup.

Eventually you can fix this by using the proper aspnet_regiis.exe -i as discussed here.

Error 404.17 The requested content appears to be script | The ASP.NET Forums

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eureka! That thread had the answer.

I ran this...

Which results in a 404.2, which was fixed by changing ASP.NET v4.0 to "Allowed"

arnd_schmidt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nice nice nice

I had similar issues in the past.