cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CrystalDecisions 9.1.5000.0 on .NET 1.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a .NET 1.1 application running on a Windows 2003 SP1 Server. The application uses Crystal Reports. From what I can see in the web.config of the application, it references the following assemblies:

<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true">

<assemblies>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*"/>

<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=9.1.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*"/>

</assemblies>

</compilation>

I looked in the bin directory of this .NET 1.1 application for the CrystalDecisions dll's, but they are not in the there.  However the apps runs just fine, and the reports run just fine.

The issue is we need to migrate the application to two new servers:  a Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit), and a Windows 2014 (64 bit). We are not planning to upgrade the application itself. We will just run it off of the .NET 1.1 framework on the new server.

What steps are necessary to continue using CrystalDecisions for this application on the new servers with staying on .net 1.1 framework for the app?

Thank you,

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

New OS's like Win 7 and above have .Net 3.5 and below bundled, thus .Net 1.1, 2, 3, 3.5 should run already.

IIS must be configured OK to run .Net apps, if IIS is on before .Net then it will be already configured but if IIS was added after .Net was installed, you'll need to run aspnet_regiis.exe -i from the command line, which install / configure .Net support into IIS. Then setup a Virtual Directory of the same name, right click the folder and choose "convert to application", so that will now expect to host / run a .Net web app.

Yes, you'll have to bring those DLL's with the app, find them on the current system ( CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll, CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.dll, CrystalDecisions.Shared.dll,

CrystalDecisions.Web.dll ) and copy them, they'll be in the global assembly cache, you'll find them on the drive somewhere, copy them, and put them in the bin directory you spoke of, and it should find them and hopefully it should all run fine.

When you test the page, test on the server itself, because when it knows it's being run from localhost it will happily show you specifics on errors, but if you access it remotely, it won't.

I've seen a reasonable amount of similar stuff, and I think you should be able to get it running, if not, you'll be faced with upgrading / renewing, I'd say 90% chance you'll get it working without problems.

Regards,

Damon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Damon,

Thank you for your reply. After attempting to run a report on the Win 2008 R2 server through localhost, the following error occurs...

Server Error in '/WOS' Application.

File or assembly name CrystalKeyCodeLib, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Description:
An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name CrystalKeyCodeLib, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalKeyCodeLib' could not be loaded.
...I have added the 4 necessary dll's into the bin folder of the app.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

OK, so the four DLL's you added were directly referenced by your application, however one of the said 4 DLL's is referencing CrystalKeyCodeLib.dll, thus you need to find this DLL and add it to the bin directory, in fact if I were you, I would find any DLL's that are patterned CrystalDecisions.*.dll and add them to the bin directory, as any of them could potentially be referenced by the main 4.

The mention of KeyCodeLib sounds a little bit like a licensing mechanism to me, lets hope not as it could turn out troublesome to resolve, anyways, see how you go.

Regards,

Damon

Answers (0)