Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career prospects in SAP SD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, after a long and tiring career of around 12 years in teaching as associate professor, I'm thinking of taking up more challenging careers in industry. I'm considering doing SAP SD and I'm worried about career prospects. Would anyone advise me if I'm correct in this kind of thinking...i.e., doing SAP at this age and time, would it be like risking or OK for me to move ahead? What things should I keep in mind in selection of course, institute etc for doing SAP. Pl. advise keeping my profile in picture.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sandeep,

SAP SD is software for logistics of sales (order, delivery, bill creation etc.) Do you have any experience in these type of activities (creating orders, exposure to bills)? Without prior business experience, breaking into SD would be very difficult!

If you have any additional, specific questions, then please ask.

TW

5 REPLIES 5

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sandeep,

SAP SD is software for logistics of sales (order, delivery, bill creation etc.) Do you have any experience in these type of activities (creating orders, exposure to bills)? Without prior business experience, breaking into SD would be very difficult!

If you have any additional, specific questions, then please ask.

TW

0 Kudos

Yeah, I've theoretical experience with the concepts of SD, being a teacher in the domain of sales & marketing. With that conceptual knowledge, can I understand and work on the software?

0 Kudos

sandeep,

Give some examples of what you taught in sales and marketing?

Anyone can understand SD or for that matter anything in SAP but one is paid well only after he/she becomes an expert and for that time (years) are needed. The question is are you (anybody) ready to invest that much time, money and effort?

TW

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sandeep,

I would like to give you some brief of SAP job market in India. It will help you to do further analysis and take a decision.

For a job as an SAP SD consultant, the requirments are 2 yrs(minimum) of domain (sales) experience and some good (may be 3 yrs of hands on with SAP SD.

The domain exp part is not important if you are applying as a fresher (the fresher needs to be SAP certified , else no chance in India)

Am afraid, your teaching exp, even if its in marketing or sales, may not be considered (even financial product sales/ or sales in banking industry is not attractive here).

Coming to hand on exp in SAP, its very important to have it may be as a trainee, some project work, end user etc..

So now, you can analyse the situation and decide on what you have to do. Age may not be a constraint in this field, but you have to consider how much time, money and efort u can spend.

Regards

Jobi

0 Kudos

Mr. Jobi,

Well Said. I believe all these parameters are there in the current market and you correctly said. Now I think this much information is enough for  deciding to step into SAP Career for the concerned person.

Thanks!

Srikanth