cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Login time

0 Kudos

We notice in our BI 4.1 SP3 P3 the login time is taking about 8 to 10 secs.  It adds couple of seconds more when this is done with SSO from portal. I would like to know if there is any way to improve the performance? 

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are no time benchmarks...Each environment is different!

So can't really judge 6-8seconds to be "slow"... IMO, slow would be half a minute?

• Start with a setup as vanilla as possible. No SSO, only plain installation, default settings.

• Run the workflow from the server (using localhost:port, then servername:port Or IP).
  • The delays in the above 2 attempts, from the server itself, will judge the name resolution time.

• Then start with a client machine/user desktop and try to login to server.
  • Compare this with client tools, and BI launchpad or CMC.

There will always be the network latency as a factor. Name resolution, network latency and then web application performance.

Use Fiddler to check where the delay takes place, at what stage of the login. That will give a start as to how to improve this.

-Sid

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

BI gets authentication from backend BW System.  There is no AD/LDAP involvement.

direct BI 4.1 login with userid/password (authentication happens at BW) is 8-10 secs.  If SSO authentication happens from portal, it is about 10-12 seconds.

Thanks and Regards,

Giridhara Tadikonda

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Giridhara,

The BW login of 8-10sec is too slow.  Where is the physical location of the BW server in respects to BI4 server.   Create a TEST BI4 Enterprise account to test basic BI4 login.   You also need to check if there is any issues with the CMS database login process.

• Do you have FULL Audit enabled?
  • Do you have FULL Index enabled?

These are other things that will also delay the login process.

Ajay

0 Kudos

Me just wondering if a complex Analytic Authorization setup on SAP BW side causes slow login?

0 Kudos

Actually I know these before, but these didn't help.

> Do you have FULL Audit enabled?

I have reduced the audit to minimal (from default) and it is still the same..

> Do you have FULL Index enabled?

I have stopped the indexing (changed to scheduled) , but still it is the same.

Do you have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos

First of all - do you consider 8-10 secs is slow?

> Me just wondering if a complex Analytic Authorization setup on SAP BW side causes slow login?

It is just normal BW userid/password method to authorize the user.

0 Kudos

Sorry, I was not refering to "..just normal BW /method to autorize user", but instead if your security setup on SAP BW side is complex! By that I mean many complex restrictions for a user, many groups, etc. on SAP BW side.

And by the way, yes, I do consider 10 sec. Login time as rather sloooow

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Grindhara,

If you are using SSO, too many factors to consider:

• Type login time using BI4 Enterprise Authentication, issue could be CMS DB server?
  • How many BI4 CMS servers?
  • Physical & Network segment location BI4 Servers / CMS Server / AD Auth Server / # of Global Dir servers
  • Run the SET command on BI4 CMS servers to determine the Directory server, force glbal sync of Dir Server seen by BI4 CMS

Regards,

Ajay