cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDG Integration approach clarifications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We are planning to implement SAP MDG as a stand alone hub to integrate materials, business partners, suppliers and customers with SAP ECC, SAP SRM, SAP CRM and non-SAP systems. I would be very grateful if you could clarify some aspects regarding the integration approach.

• Is the normal approach integrating SAP MDG with SAP systems directly without SAP PI and integrate SAP MDG with non-SAP systems using SAP PI?

• As far as I understand the standard processes to distribute the master data are based on IDOC or in SOA services. Is that right? In case of SOA services, is it necessary to use SAP PI to enable the communication between MDG and SAP systems?

• Replication status. There is a functionality to show the replication status in the target systems. Is that functionality based on acknowledgment back from target systems with the result of the operation? Does it works regardless using IDOCs or SOA services?

• We are planning to implement some bespoke entities currently not covered by MDG. Which are the options to set up the replication of this custom entities? Can Replication status functionality mentioned in above point be used for bespoke entities?

Many thanks for all your help,

Kind regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member201266
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

1) In most of the cases either with within SAP or Non SAP, PI is being involved, but yes integration can happen without PI also.

2) Yes, IDOC and Webservices are commonly used and for Webservice communication also PI will not be required, but can be used.

3) Yes its based on acknowledgement.

4) Not really sure about bespoke entity, but in general for custom entities which are not part of standard IDOC's and Consumer Proxies, they also have to be edited along with your data model.

Regards,

Sai Charan.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks for your contribution.

Can I have some feedback about the replication status report in MDG to centralize the monitoring of the replication in all the target systems?

Many thanks!

Kind regards.

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you elaborate more on this? Do you want to view the replication status report in MDG?

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Many thanks for your information.

What I would like to make sure is that there is a MDG report to monitor the replication status on all the target systems and that it is available regardless the distribution technology used (IDOC or SOA services) and that the same framework can be used for bespoke entities.

Many thanks for you help!

Kind regards.

RiccardoBrogi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Phileas,

you can monitor data replication using the Web Dynpro App DRF_FPM_OIF_MONITORING

Best,

Riccardo

former_member206605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Phieas

Please see my reply -

• As far as I understand the standard processes to distribute the master data are based on IDOC or in SOA services. Is that right? In case of SOA services, is it necessary to use SAP PI to enable the communication between MDG and SAP systems? - You can replicate using IDOC / SOA / File. In case of SOA its not necessary to use SAP PI. You can directly communicate to SAP
  • We are planning to implement some bespoke entities currently not covered by MDG. Which are the options to set up the replication of this custom entities? Can Replication status functionality mentioned in above point be used for bespoke entities? - IDOC or File replication is best method. File replication can be used for non-sap and IDOC for SAP.

Thanks

Kiran