cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashboards with Webi Live office Objects issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have created a dashboard (Dashboards 4.1 SP4) connecting to webi crosstab tables which in turn sources data from Bex queries (version of SAP BW 7.1 SP5) . Initially I published the crosstab data as BI web Services and consumed these as query as web service within the Dashboards. But datasets have variable columns and changes on data refresh everyday. Therefore, I decided to use Live office connections to automate the dashboard.

As number of posts suggested, firstly, I created Live office connections for the webi queries to pull the data into excel model spreadsheet. I have created 26 live office connections in total and everything works fine until this step. Re-opening the excel document refreshes the live office connections. When I import the same excel spreadsheet into the dashboard, the import operation is running forever and then Dashboards stops responding. I would have to close the Dashboard using task manager.

To test, I tried creating the live office objects within the dashboard spreadsheet and it creates the connections fine. I do not create the live office connections through Data -->Connections--> Live office connections. I go ahead and publish the dashboard onto the portal and it gets published successfully. If I re-open the dashboard, the connections I created would have disappeared.

Also,when I create the live office connections on the dashboards Data -->Connections tab and try to publish the dashboard, it publishes forever. The generating swf window was running until I came the next morning which means that it does not publish to the BO portal. I am not sure what else I could try to get this working.

I have created OLAP connections to the Bex cubes and created webi reports using these connections. I am not sure if OLAP connections would be a problem. To test it, I created relational Universe using UDT tool and created a webi report on top of it to test and tried importing the excel with live office connection to dashboards, but it gets stuck forever.

Could anyone advise me on any of the missing steps or something else to try to get this working?

Thanks.

Regards,

Rohini.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as LO count is concerned, it is not a huge thing that you are using 26 LO connections. I have used 38 and it worked fine.

What matters is the backhand data process.

What time it takes for reports to be refreshed in excel sheet only through live office??

Regards,

Preetesh Dewangan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Preetesh,

The excel takes less than a minute to refresh all the datasets when refreshed from outside dashboards. I also do not think this is a performance issue.

Today I tried importing the excel with live office connections on a different desktop with Dashboards 4.1 SP5 and it got imported instantly. The machine I was trying had Dashboards 4.0 SP6 base version and was updated with 4.1 SP4. I suspected the install might be corrupted and re-installed Dashboards 4.1 SP4 after uninstalling all the versions. The excel got imported instantly and I could see all the Live office connections and got refreshed on document open as well. I saved it to the BO platform without setting up Live Office connections through Data Manager and it got published successfully.

I closed the Dashboard and re-opened it later and setup the Live Office connections and tried publishing on the BO Portal, its running forever with Generating Swf window. Not sure what is going wrong. In the task manager, I do see two excel processes running which I think is one of dashboard and one of Live office.

Thanks,

Rohini.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it running well with Dashboards 4.1 SP5 and live office SP5?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot test it with that version as the BO server is 4.1 SP4. I just tested to see if there was any issue with the version we are using but later with the fresh install of Dashbaords SP4, it did import successfully and publish successfully for the first time but not for the second time.

former_member194862
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

First check if the LO is on the same patch as that of BO server.The SP and the patch must be the same.

Try to export excel out of the dashboard and try to refresh all queries and check if it works there ouside Xcelsius.

Also check if the dashboard has too many excel tabs and the number of rows mapped to the excel.

As Xcelsius is not a reporting tool and is for visualization of the aggregated data the recommended number of rows is 512 so you can try some permutaions and combinations and see how much can the dashboard can hold.

Regards,

Amit Kulkarni

Support Engineer

SAP Active Global Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

As your number of live office docs are 26. Schedule the webi reports and then use it in your dashboard.
uncheck the refresh on open option from webi.

Regards,

Preetesh Dewangan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Preetesh,

I have already scheduled the WebI reports daily and setup the Live Office connections to pick the latest instance from a particular user. The Refresh on Open option is also unchecked.

I do not see an issue with the performance of the reports as its all aggregated and datasets are not too big. I am concerned if this has got to do anything with WebI having OLAP connection to BW. I created a Universe on a single Bex Query using UDT and created a single live office connection on excel. When I import the excel file into the dashboard, its taking forever to import and Dashboard crashes.

I cannot use BI Web services as I have variable columns in the datasets.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohini,

You have webi report created on Bex Query. Can you not use the Query Browser connection and connect to BEx directly. This would simplfy things. Any specific reason to use BIWS/LO ?

And as mentioned by Suman, 26 connections is a lot. Dashboard is for summarized, aggregated data. And the number of rows and columns retrieved by each connection and the formulas used if any add to the complexity of the dashboard.

Start by adding one connection after the other and see after how many connections it fails.
Also keep testing the preview. You can check the option Show loading status. This will be helpful when generating SWF on preview. It will show the different status the dashboards goes through also helping to understand which process takes time Eg: Creating cells, creating components etc.

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

26 live office connections ufffffffffff , its too much to finish the development try to minimize number of connections or try to split up the design. I hope that is the only option you have other than this. This is going to be the never ending process, though if you can complete all the activity in safe, running the swf file will also going test your patience.

To start up try using less than 7 or 8 connections and test the performance.