cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP EWM MFS VS WCU Interface

Former Member

Hi Experts

I have client who is already having automated warehouses with 3 different non SAP MFS. They are in plans for implementing SAP EWM. I have to propose solution for MFS. In this process debating on implementing SAP EWM MFS Or use SAP EWM WCU interface.

Here is my basic understanding. Please suggest from your experience. Correct my understanding, in case wrong.

SAP EWM MFS means warehouse management & warehouse control done by EWM. This will provide accurate status of HU i.e current communication channel and communication point in process. Telegram messages are integrated into monitor for better trouble shooting. However implementation will take more time considering number of automated WH & different type of equipment i.e Std. conveyor, A frame conveyors, work station of id points etc). Testing solution also complicated and time consuming.

On the other hand SAP EWM with WCU interface...EWM only does warehouse management & lets 3rd party MFS handle warehouse control. This way current setup is not disturbed. We will be using mostly std. SAP IDOC types of WCU interface. So implementation is also not complex. However monitoring and control is not well integrated. Is there a way to know exact location of HU in the process? Or EWM is in blind till WT confirmation IDOC received from MFS?

Please let me know any other disadvantages of using WCU interface VS EWM MFS. Thank you.

Best Regards

Phani sai MN

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member193471
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Phani,

I would suggest you to go with Standard EWM MFS Solution. From 9.0 onwards, It became very matured solution and can support very well. Now, Plant Connectivity is integrated component in MFS, so you do not need any external interfaces. From 9.2 onwards, MFS Solution supports back bin removal also with out much effort.

When it comes to the Interface, the implementation will remain take same time as Standard EWM MFS Solution. Because, you still need to maintain you basic MFS Settings to control cranes and have basic monitoring via EWM.

I never worked with Interfaces, however, standard EWM Solution is very good enough to automate any kind of warehouse. That is what, I can suggest.

Regards,

Sathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish

Thanks for your response. Agree that EWM MFS is matured and well integrated. Do you mean Pco is not needed to be purchased separately & is already available with EWM MFS Or you mean we just need to do some setting to have interface working? 

Can you suggest any tools for testing MFS in non-production environment. Client want to be able to test real time volumes before go live.

Best Regards

Phani

former_member193471
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Plant Connectivity in built-in part in EWM MFS. So, you doen't requrie external Plant Connectivity.

For Non Production Environment testing, you have simulators. These software will be given by your hardware(AS/RS) suppliers. your warehouse team must be having these simulators.

Regards,

Sathish

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member674408
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello, as far as I can tell from my experience with interfaces, You always need an extra administrator worker no matter how standard the inteface is.

I implemented several interface scenarios in WM and I would take any chance to avoid that next time.

EWM has strong MFS support and provides also graphical monitoring and reporting tools, which I think is attractive enough.

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have question we having EWM 9.5 version. We are trying to implement MFS solution for WH automation. My question is some of the Automation equipment vendors doesn't able to work in Telegram message. They need SOAP or REST message. If we use EWM 9.5 with ABAP push channel , where do we need to the conversion of Telegram message to REST or SOAP format and vice versa. I really appricate if some one can clarify this. Thanks.

Br

Mathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phani

Please have a look at below link to get complete idea, You will be very clear for connections and scenario. Hope it will be very use full for testing also.

SAP Plant Connectivity (PCo) Meets SAP EWM Mate... | SCN

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000468132009E.PDF

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Thanks for your response. Information provided is very helpful.

Best Regards

Phani

jobi_t
Contributor
0 Kudos

If EWM is licensed, not additional license is needed for the PCo. you can use any RFC adapter, PCo is from SAP, that is the difference.

Regards,

Jobi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends

Please respond to above post. Thank you.

Best Regards

Phani sai MN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, as far as I can tell from my experience with interfaces, You always need an extra administrator worker no matter how standard the inteface is.

I implemented several interface scenarios in WM and I would take any chance to avoid that next time.

EWM has strong MFS support and provides also graphical monitoring and reporting tools, which I think is attractive enough.

Petr