cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal variant - default option

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In Analysis for OLAP there is possibility to store personal variants with additional option --> default.

Please share with me, have you have found any other serviceableness for that than  marking one of personal variants as default?

Thanks

Marcin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Marcin

I'm not sure I understand your question, so let me explain the documented behavior of the variant "default" option.

A variant, public or private, is a collection of previously chosen values that can be applied to prompts (Variables). You can create many different variants against the same query. When you save a variant you have the option of making it the default variant for that query. That means when you use AOLAP and connect to the query, the prompt dialog will be automatically populated with the values contained in the specified default variant.

One thing to note. In AOLAP there is the option to save prompt values with the workspace. So you might open a query and AOLAP will use the default variant to populate the prompts... but if you change these prompt values and save the workspace, when you open the workspace again it is the saved values which are used and not those of the default variant.

In other words, the default variant values are used when you open a connection to a query and not when you open an AOLAP workspace.

I hope this helps to explain.

Kind Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the response.

The idea of default personal variants is clear but nevertheless it does not work in my environment as you have described.

What I did is to open A OLAP workspace, fill some prompt and save as a default personal variant with and without option "save prompt values with workspace".

Then, I have opened the workspace again and I haven't seen any default variants chosen.

What can be the cause of that, some BW security rules?

Thanks,

Marcin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Default personal variant works but only for new workspace for the same query for which default variant  was fixed earlier.

The best option will be if default variant works for all saved workspaces not only the new ones.

Any idea how ato achive, please

Thanks

Marcin

I_MCA
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Marcin

I see what you are asking for. When an AOLAP workspace is opened, if prompt values have not been saved with the workspace then AOLAP should check if the user has a default variant for the query used in the workspace and use that instead to populate the prompt dialog.

That's an interesting idea. Can I ask you to visit SAP BusinessObjects Analysis edition for OLAP: Home and submit that idea please for future consideration.

In the meantime, users can still choose their variants from the Variant menu... it's just not automatic.

Kind Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your update.

Yes, I agree, it will be useful to have default variant not only when you open a connection to a query but when you open an AOLAP workspace as well.

I will post it as an idea to SAP BusinessObjects Analysis edition for OLAP.

Thanks

Answers (0)