cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to decide what type of DB to use for MDM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear Experts,

I am confused on a question: How do you decide what type of database to use for MDM when starting an MDM implementation project - oracle/BD2/sql/...?

I checked the SAP help portal and it seems this question should not be specifically to MDM, but targeting to NetWeaver security. However there's no measuing points I can find for reference.

I guess this question should goes to a DBA or a system architect - not sure if I can find some clue here. The reason I'm asking this is because the client is asking us the same question...

Many thanks!

Regards,

Anqi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mukeshkumawat
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi ,

SAP supports SQL,DB2, Oracle,Sybase ASE and SAP HANA for SRM MDM  ,Database with  SAP MDM.

Which DB is most relevant to Use: Now it comes to Your Business Requirement how much the complexity of structure and volume of data I find Oracle DB most relevant with MDM since i have Mostly worked with that and not find any issue yet.

SAP Now Support Sybase and SAP HANA(Mainly for SRM MDM) form SP 12 SO if you have structure like that holds SRM MDM then you would go with HANA since it is most Faster and Oracle.

Discuss with your Business Client keeping Future Project Expansion  view and you could suggest based on that.

Thanks,

Mukesh Kumawat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.
We've used Oracle and DB2 LUW and SQL Server for MDM.
There is no special recommendation that I know of ( other than using a supported type! ).

After installing MDM you connect it to its database using the MDM console whereupon MDM initializes the database for its own use.

Obviously you have to use a supported database type but its more about what the customer can support and/or the cost of the hardware to run it on.

Regards
Ken.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ken, for your quick response.

It is now the client asking us this question: how do you tell which db to use for MDM...and they wants to know the pros and cons of each main type. I'm reaching out to our Infrustructure Architect but meanwhile would like to search from the MDM from scn to see if any previous stories could help.

Anqi