cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific Format for quality inspection charactaristics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

We have a specific requirement. We need to maintain MIC value in a specific format  say "L 12 * 15". I couldn't find any option for using a custom format in QM MIC values (quantitative). Please let me know if we have such option.

I can think of two obvious options:

- Quantitative Characteristic: Since I don't find an option for maintaining data in this format, I can maintain the data as 1215 (will eliminate 'L'). Problem is we won't have tolerance here and as a result we cannot have an automatic valuation with the option 'Check target value'. I could not find any option for valuating target values.

- Qualitative Characteristic: Configure code groups and selected sets for each possible value. Now this can become extremely cumbersome as each material will have unique value for the parameter. This would result in a lot of data maintenance (each material will end up having one unique MIC and unique selected set which is not desired).

I was trying to have a work around through MIC classification (using class type 005) but couldn't figure anything positive.

Is there any better way of achieving it? I am inclined to quantitative characteristics as this requires less data maintenance but the only problem is automatic valuation won't work given system needs to check a single target value without tolerance.

Any thought would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Snigdho

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Snigdho, that's true! SAP won't allow you to put floating point numbers in to quantitative MIC.

Could you please explain it more in details what exactly L 12 * 15 means and how it is measured manually? How you evaluate it, if it does not have tolerance limits? May be you can think of defining separate MICs for 12 and 15 if they represent length x width!

Would be easy to find some work around if you can illustrate with some example specific to industry you are working.

Thanks, Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think having two separate values will serve the purpose because they need to be valuated  together. Moreover these values need to be in sync with those in another system for business reasons.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I read the two responses to this query and Im still stuck at the first one. You need to clarify the points which Anand has asked. Yes, they are important to anyone before one can give a suggestion.

We don't know what "L 12 * 15" represents and how the tolerance will work with this value. Or where is it required to be updated ?

Or else, you should once explore the 'Calculated characteristic' to check if Concatenate would work for you or not. MIC1 may have L (Qlt), MIC2 and MIC3 may have 12 and 15 respectively and you can define MIC4 (Qnt and Calculated) to populate the value from three MICs. Apply all the logic to MIC4 once you get the desired value into that.

Im not sure if this would work for you or not. It's a blind guess of mine without understanding your process.

ntn

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right - I missed out the explanation.

Here it is - L represents a specific attribute and  the next two number represents two dimensions. Similar to thread specifications.

I appreciate your input, calculated characteristic would be the best solution.

Thanks

Snigdho

Answers (0)