cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA design time roles replication/transport

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have been a keen reader of SCN for many years but only just beginning to ask for specific expertise, so please bear with me if I'm outside standard forum etiquette or procedures!  Any guidance gratefully received there.

Having built design time roles in one system, I am curious if there is a way to replicate these in other systems now.  The latest discussion I could find on any transport possibilities seemed limited to producing .hdbroles, which have their own limitations although transporting isn't one of them.  I would prefer to maintain the roles as design time types only however does this mean that they must be manually replicated directly in each system, or if it is possible to create an SQL from the design time role, to then execute in the target system, but still allowing graphical maintenance of th roles?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and experienced feedback.

Kind Regards,

Mark Simmet

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

You can export your roles as delivery units and then transport them or import the delivery unit in your new system.

You can't maintain design time roles using Graphical editor as the owner of these roles is _SYS_REPO

With SPS09, you have web based graphical editor for design time roles

Which limitations have you seen in design time roles?

I always prefer them over catalog roles

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me here.  The only limitations of the design time roles I could see in relation to the category type role was my perceived inability to transport/replicate them. 

If I build in say CRM DEV and want to replicate to other DEVs, I understand now that this is possible through the import of the relevant delivery unit.

I was cautious in attaching these to something for export prior to confirmation from someone with experience of having done so.  Documentation around this appears to be quite limited with only some old threads discussing the transport/replication efforts required of HANA roles.

My preference is also design time over catalog from what I've seen so far, and as we're on SPS09 it's possible to edit in the graphical interface.

I'll look into your suggestions on delivery units for import/transport options.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark