Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi guys. I am new to SAP and currently working in BASIS administration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My question is can a BASIS guy become FUNCTIONAL CONSULTANT. If yes plz explain?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Singh

Any career change is possible. But really this comes down to why do you want to change to Functional and what sort of background do you have?

A functional consultant will spend more time in transaction SPRO. Having a technical understanding of the system can be a good asset/skill when you need to troubleshoot issues, manage your transports, apply OSS notes, etc.

However, a large part of a functional consultant's work is understanding business process and working withe business to translate their requirements into system activities.

As with working more on the business side, communication is very important. You have to step back from talking transaction code and objects and use language to explain business impact and what it means to the end user. This style of communication is key to ensuring the solution meets the user's expectations.

So again, why do you want to transition and what skills/experience do you have? What specific module/process area/component interests you? As a Basis person, you might have a good overview of the different SAP components and modules.

Regards

Colleen

P.s. changing specialty is possible. You just might have to take a few steps back to build up your experience again.

4 REPLIES 4

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Singh

Any career change is possible. But really this comes down to why do you want to change to Functional and what sort of background do you have?

A functional consultant will spend more time in transaction SPRO. Having a technical understanding of the system can be a good asset/skill when you need to troubleshoot issues, manage your transports, apply OSS notes, etc.

However, a large part of a functional consultant's work is understanding business process and working withe business to translate their requirements into system activities.

As with working more on the business side, communication is very important. You have to step back from talking transaction code and objects and use language to explain business impact and what it means to the end user. This style of communication is key to ensuring the solution meets the user's expectations.

So again, why do you want to transition and what skills/experience do you have? What specific module/process area/component interests you? As a Basis person, you might have a good overview of the different SAP components and modules.

Regards

Colleen

P.s. changing specialty is possible. You just might have to take a few steps back to build up your experience again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

I am currently working on SOLMAN 7.0. Its been 1 year and that is my total experience.

I am not familiar with all modules. I have heard about FICO, Procurement,HR 

Its just anxiety and unfamiliarity about the FUCTIONAL work.

Please help in explaining which would be of better scope?

And  thanks for your valuable reponse.

0 Kudos

I recommend you go and sign up for the Discovery Edition of SAP Learning Hub (search to find informtion) as it's free

There are process overview courses that can educate you in the modules and area. This will help you better understand and alleviate some of the anxiety

I cannot (non of us can) tell you which module to choose. You need to learn about them and see which one interests you and think you might be good at.

Regards

Colleen

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jaideep,

The answer to your question can be YES and it can also be NO!

It depends upon the person or people behind.

If you are interested to see if functional consulting is for you, then get information about what functional analyst do, from your team members. Then it is for you to decide if this transition is possible or not. To become a functional analyst you have understand and explain business processes, learn every day and try to solve business issues by taking ownership.

TW