Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMS Ports - Confusion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the setup below

When installing BI 4 I want to understand something about ports and what checks need to be carried out prior to install.

The SQL Server is installed first with empty databases setup for Audit and CMS. I have then on BI4_SERVER setup ODBC connection to the databases so i can provide this information in the install.

As default BI 4 uses port 6400 to connect to the CMS (as I understand). In the example above - this would be SQL_SERVER 6400.

- If I try to (prior to install of application BI_SERVER but after the empty database install) telnet to SQL_SERVER 6400. It gets refused. Do I need to setup anything for the database to listen to port 6400?

- If I try to (prior to install of application BI_SERVER but after the empty database install) telnet to BI4_SERVER 6400. It gets refused. Do I need to setup anything for the database to listen to port 6400? The reason for this second question is because in the install logs when i try and install BI 4 i get the following error

*#*_*FWM 20030|Could not reach CMS 'BI_SERVER:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)|Could not reach CMS 'BI_SERVER:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)*_*#*

- The last question I have is that does the BI 4 application just use port 6400 on the "BI4_SERVER" and then use the ODBC connection to connect to SQL_SERVER. In turn we dont actually use the port 6400 on the SQL_SERVER

Any assistance would be grateful to clear my understanding on this.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

6400 is the default port for the CMS server application on the BI Server, not necessarily the same port your CMS database on your database server uses. By default SQL Server uses port 1433 I think.

Your error on the BI server could be caused by the CMS application not running or a firewall issue. Do you have the BI web and app tiers all installed on the same machine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks that has cleared up some of my confusion

So at this stage i have nothing installed apart from the SQL_SERVER. I have uninstalled BI 4 but the SQL_SERVER is running with databases.

I have tried to telnet to port 1433 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/287932 - it is default port) on the SQL_SERVER but telnet fails. Command uses is telnet SQL_SERVER 1433. Could this cause a problem? However, the ODBC connection worked when i set it up - does the port matter?

With regard to port 6400 on the application server - I am assuming this would be active once the application has been installed.

With regard to the install error when i did the install

- The error happened while install happened. Full error below - it says it is up.

13:12:34.440 2015/04/28, 01:12:34: RunRedistProgram: return value 2

13:12:34.440 2015/04/28, 01:12:34: CMS is up, but cannot log on to CMS. Trying again...

13:12:34.440 2015/04/28, 01:12:34: ... waited for 1020 seconds ...

13:13:14.631 *#*_*FWM 20030|Could not reach CMS 'SQL_SERVER:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)|Could not reach CMS 'SQL_SERVER:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)*_*#*

- The web and app tier is on the same server.

Cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unless SQL_SERVER and BI4_SERVER are the same machine, you would likely not have anything running at SQL_SERVER:6400. When it says the CMS is up it may just be indicating that the executable is running, but there still could be no connection to the DB server.

You could try monitoring with a tool like TCPView, and see if there is actually any traffic going between the two machines. Connections in SYN_SENT status indicate firewall or other connectivity issue.

There is an SAP Note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2151044 that also matches your error message, suggesting to try connecting by IP instead of DNS name.

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If SQL server is installed on the different server then default port  (1433) needs to be open between Sql server CMS DB to BO APP server. If you have bound SQL server DB with different port then same needs to be open  from Sql Server DB to BO APP server.

Once you setup the database and for to check the port status use telnet command on BO App server and try to see if SQL server DB port is opened or not.

After that create ODBC connection on BO APP server and if ODBC connection is not successful then in ODBC connection screen enter the SQL server full name along with port name or try with IP address & port name. e.g sqlservername.xxx.xx,1433

6400 is the default port for CMS and 6410 is the default port for SIA same you can see at the time of BO installation.

For the client system connectivity with BO server tomcat port 8080 and CMS port 6400 needs to open.

refer attached link for BO installation with SQL server DB.

http://guozspace.com/2012/04/28/sap-business-objects-bi-4-0-installation-steps/

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sure, thanks. Will look into using the monitoring tool TCPView - do i only need to install it on the BI4_SERVER or both?

I have now added the hostname to the hosts file and will see if this changes anything.

With regard to port SQL_SERVER.1433 - i cannot telnet to it. But the ODBC connection works. So does it matter i cannot telnet to it?

Cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for that.

With regard to port SQL_SERVER.1433 - i cannot telnet to it. But the ODBC connection works. So does it matter i cannot telnet to it?

Cheers

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If ODBC is successful then it’s fine. Now you can install BO.

May be some other port is used for sql server db that’s why 1433 is not working with telnet .for telnet have you installed telnet client on the server to use telnet?

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - Telnet does work with other ports so it is not related to the telnet functionality not being enabled. I will try a re-install and see what happens.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

During the the install I have examined TCPView to understand the traffic (not that i know much what is is showing!).

I monitored traffic on port 6400 and found that all processes on this port have a state of "SYN_SENT"

I am not sure what to look at next. I have checked the firewall and it is disabled from what i can see.

Views?

Cheers

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leo,

Have you resolved this issue ?

I am also facing the same issue.

I have changed the port number in the SIA configuration and it worked fine.

But did you find what caused the issue and how did you resolve it ..

Thanks ,

Divya

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi - had to rebuild the VM with a new OS and fixed the problem. Not sure what had happened...