cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is this report printing a second page with only group headers?

donbenson
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have attached an RPT (extension will need to be renamed, since the forum disallows RPT files) with data that is exhibiting behavior that I cannot understand. The report is generating a second page that contains only group headers and a page footer. As far as I can tell, this report should only need one page. This was generated using version 13.0.13.1597.

The report is rather complex, with conditional suppression in several sections. The conditions are necessary because the report is part of a shrink-wrap system that gives users options on how the form should be printed.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this report would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Your report does not fit the default printer paper size, may be due to margin settings set.

Check on the Dissociate and see if that helps or use a different printer as your default or both.

I see the same 2 pages in CR Designer as I do in my test app.

You can also right click on each section and select Fit Section. I did this on the Header, Groups and first Detail section and no it fits on one page.

Bottom line is it's the printer causing this, find one that works for both and be sure to check on Dissociate.

Don

donbenson
Explorer
0 Kudos

I tried disassociating, but that didn't help. I have no control over the printer that is used, so I didn't bother.

"Fitting" the sections only fixes this example. I did that, and then found a different data situation that still exhibited the same behavior. I have a sample lot of about 1200 documents for this report, and I am consistently getting

The margins are 1/4" on the left and right, and 0.3" on the top and bottom. I can make the margins 1/4" on all sides, and the report now fits, but that again seems to be only a single-case fix.

What is it about the report that is not fitting? The second page contains only sections that are being repeated from the first page. No detail is on the second page. Since the second page has zero new content, what didn't fit?

0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Think of it this way....

CR is WYSIWYG and to do that we need to be able to format the report based on the Printer being used. Most printers do have varying margins due to hardware limitations and what those are do affect how CR generates the page formatting.

So if you design your reports to fit the maximum paper size and then send that off to some user who has a printer not capable then the data get pushed to the next page.

So why doe your report show the second page without data you asked, mostly due to the 14 condition section formatting formula you are using:

Object: Text74

Object text: * RUSH *

Object Formula: {ado.PrintRushOnPackList} = False

Object: Text75

Object text: REPRINT

Object Formula: {ado.Reprint} = False

Object: Text76

Object text: REPRINT

Object Formula: {ado.Reprint} = False

Object: Text77

Object text: * RUSH *

Object Formula: {ado.PrintRushOnPackList} = False

Object: ContactConcat3

Object Formula: ((isnull({ado.ContactFirstName}) or len({ado.ContactFirstName}) = 0)

and

(isnull({ado.ContactLastName}) or len({ado.ContactLastName}) = 0))

Object: CustShipToPhone3

Object Formula: (isnull({ado.CustShipToPhone}) or len({ado.CustShipToPhone}) = 0)

Object: ContactConcat2

Object Formula: ((isnull({ado.ContactFirstName}) or len({ado.ContactFirstName}) = 0)

and

(isnull({ado.ContactLastName}) or len({ado.ContactLastName}) = 0))

Object: CustShipToPhone2

Object Formula: (isnull({ado.CustShipToPhone}) or len({ado.CustShipToPhone}) = 0)

Object: SOLineNumber1

Object Formula: {ado.PickTicketType} = "EXTFAB"

And Previous({ado.LineID}) = {ado.LineID}

Object: Text33

Object text:

Object Formula: IsNull({ado.LineBin}) Or Len({ado.LineBin}) = 0 or {ado.LineBin} = "{BACKORD}" Or {ado.LineBin} = "{PARENT}"

Object: ExtendedPrice1

Object Formula: {ado.PrintPrice} = False

Object: Text9

Object text: Must ship complete

Object Formula: {ado.ShipComplete} = False

Object: Text5

Object text: Date ordered: {ado.DateOrdered}

Object Formula:

Object: Text4

Object text: Insure for: {@InsuranceValue}

Object Formula: PageNumber <> 1

So depending on how those evaluate depends on what happens on the second page. CR is simply looking at the second page and evaluating if those sections need to be displayed or not.

So don't think of it as CR is simply pushing the data from the first page onto the second printed page, CR see's it as you have a 2 page report so it needs to evaluate the second page according to the data being returned and Section formatting formula.

Hide the Page Footer and you'll also see it's a one page report.

Only work around is to design the report with for example a 1/2 inch margin around all sides and do not go outside of that area so various printers can print the report as fitted.

Don

donbenson
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback on this report. The document is very complex, and I suspected as much that the conditional suppression criteria were at play.

I'll see if the stakeholders are open to redesigning the report with wider margins.

Answers (0)