cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem installing Crystal Reports 2013 on a Windows 2012 R2 server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sheesh.  One of my users needs crystal reports and still uses it weekly.  It's time to update off of an old 2003 server so I setup a new Windows 2012 R2 server so that she and others can RDP into it and use the application and reports (it's a payroll thing so they want limited access).

So - totally plain vanilla Windows 2012 R2 install.  Then make sure I have all the .net stuff installed in the windows features.

But, whenever I run the setup.exe from the downloaded ZIP file from the sap store I get:

(1) "Assertion failure: A fatal error has occured which has caused the installer to quit.  Please gather any %TEMP% and installer logs to present to your support personnel."

(2) Then followed by the message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library -- Runtime Error!  Programs: C:\install\CrystalReports\setup.engine\SetupEngine.exe  This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's support team for more information.

(3) Then:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: SetupEngine.exe

Application Version: 60.0.0.62

Application Timestamp: 543416b3

Fault Module Name: SetupEngine.exe

Fault Module Version: 60.0.0.62

Fault Module Timestamp: 543416b3

Exception Code: 40000015

Exception Offset: 00131ee9

OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.272.7

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: ee59

Additional Information 2: ee59ff165b01a7b873dafe8afa2598dc

Additional Information 3: f1a8

Additional Information 4: f1a876ca1cb1cf9f6541ac072dd70f88

I can't find any information on this!  I have found a similar message that refers to a 2011 install that was fixed with a SP9?  But this machine has no current install.  I did buy the full version two days ago online from the sap store.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is an older C++ library that you need that is not available by default on Win 2012.  You can get the install for this here:

Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update from O...

Also, be sure you're logged in with Administrator rights, the right-click and "Run as Administrator" when you run setup.  You might also have to turn off the Windows Firewall when you run the install (you can turn it back on again after the install is complete.)

-Dell

Message was edited by: Dell Stinnett-Christy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before I got your reply, I went ahead and downloaded and installed all the current Windows updates, rebooted.  Then I installed the package you referred to.  Still no joy.  It is doing the same thing - failing at the setupengine.exe stage.  Getting the exact same error messages.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you logged in with Administrator rights when you do the install?  Try right-click and Run As Administrator.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes -- I have done it both ways.  I currently modified the registry per technet article: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Registry-Key-to-Disable-UAC-45d0df25

I was wondering if the UAC was causing problems.  It didn't make a difference.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We're at the end of what I know to check.  Maybe can give you more information.

-Dell

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looking at the logs, a few lines before the Error on the last line I see:

07:33:01.662 ReadValueFromRegistry:: failed to open registry key.

Unfortunately the logs do not tell us what reg key. It would be interesting to see if the user can install the designer when they do a local download. They could try the eval from here:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

see if that install successfully.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Downloading the trial version then putting in the key that I bought worked like a charm!  No errors -- It is weird that when you buy it online I guess it gives you a download to an older link of the install that doesn't install worth a flip.

Thanks folks!

0 Kudos

where do you find these logs? I have a similiar error, I want to go through logs once but I cant find them

Answers (0)