cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report viewer on Mac's have a canted view

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I send out .RPT files to some outside reps.  Those that have Mac's report that the Crystal Reports viewer displays in a canted view.  I've recommended they re-download and install, but that doesn't seem to help the issue.  In this case, the behavior started after upgrading OS X to Yosemite.  After the update, CR Viewer required a Java update in order to open the viewer/report.

Has anyone experienced this issue and better yet, does anyone have a solution (other than recommending they use Windows )?

Screenshot attached.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

patrick_genest
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Aaron,

This issue has been reproduced at SAP. At this point, there is unfortunately no workaround, or product update that resolve this issue. I will suggest to look at the following SAP Knowledge Base Article in the future, as it will contain the latest update on this issue:

2177870 - Report pages display diagonally when viewed in Crystal Reports Viewer on Mac
OS X

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the update, as unfortunate as it is.

I have the most difficult time navigating the SAP site.  How do I locate said Knowledge Base Article.  I searched for 2177870 and the results returned nothing.

Thanks,

Aaron

patrick_genest
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It is a newly published SAP Knowledge Base Article, therefore it may take about day before it is available. I will suggest to do a search on SCN for the KBase number in a day or two.

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can confirm that the 'no printer' option doesn't work for us either.

The funny thing is that if you play with the window size (in the bottom right corner) sometimes the report looks fine. Unfortunately this isn't a viable workaround.

At the moment we are recreating key reports into Cognos active reports which is time consuming but at least work on any OS.

It would be great if SAP issued a new version for MAC (as an aside, having the executable bundled with the PC version is weird).

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm in agreement with Chuck.  I was able to install CRV 2013 on my iMac with Yosemite.  It requires Java, which makes me wonder if Java is causing the display issue.  Once I opened the report, it was canted.  I went to the next page and the report was NOT canted.  Went back to the first page, the report was not canted.  So I opened another report, the report was canted.  I scrolled to the next page, the report was still canted.  I would say that is inconsistent results.  Even when I could get the reports to display non-canted, drill down did not work, which is the whole point of sending out RPT files with saved data.  Exporting to PDF does work, however the PDF won't expose the drill down sections, so in my case that is not a suitable workaround.

Here is an observation.  When the report is initially opened, the side panel is displayed (Community in my case).  If I hide the side panel and scroll to the next page, the report display correctly (non-canted).  If I show the side panel again and scoll back, the report becomes canted again.  The side panel is definitely causing an issue.

If anyone has any specific suggestions of what I can test against, I have access to my iMac all day.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have got this escalated to R&D for a possible fix. I don't have a tracking number or ETA - should get that in a few days.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have modified my Crystal Report with the "No Printer" option, PDF Printer, and matching printers.  None of these combinations have worked so far.  This issue only started after I upgraded to Yosemite on my Macbook Pro.  I have 3 other salesmen with Macbooks and they are having the same issue.  I did discover that if you export the file within the viewer that the PDF version looks correct.  This could serve as a work-a-round until a solution is available. 

My reports were built in CR 11.0.0.2495

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is a new one for me.  I've never seen reports look like that.  Seeing as this is happening on multiple machines and works on Windows and OS X, I think we can rule out a problem with the reports. 

The viewer gets the paging information from the printer driver.  Paper size, margins, fonts, etc. are all managed through the printer driver.  I'd be interested in finding out if an updated printer driver would help.  I would imagine your users will be using different drivers but it's a logical place for me to start. 

What size paper are your reports using?  If it's a custom paper size, try using a standard size like Letter. 

What does the report look like when it's printed? 

What version of Crystal were the reports designed in? 

There is the possibility the viewer is not compatible with Yosemite.  Sadly I can't test that.  Hoping someone else may be able to. 

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

I modified the reports per Ludek's suggestion and have sent them out.  I'll report back when they confirm if the "No Printer" option worked.

I realize the report gets paging information from the print driver.  I have no control over what printers are installed, what OS is used, etc.  I only can control the output of the reports.

After enabling the "No Printer" option, the reports defaulted to Letter, 8 1/2 x 11.

The report looks fine when printed, in fact I also supply a PDF version but the PDF version doesn't support drill-down capability even though I'm using Ido Millet's Visual Cut (the drill down sections are suppressed/hidden, so Visual Cut can't create a PDF that drills down into those sections).

The reports were built in CR 2008 v12.6.0.1596.

I have a Mac at home that has been upgraded to Yosemite.  I could test but don't know what to test for.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aaron,

Since you are using Visual CUT, you can create a PDF with drill-down using the technique demonstrated in this video:

http://www.milletsoftware.com/Download/Visual_CUT_PDF_Embed/Visual_CUT_PDF_Embed.html

hth,

- Ido

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I would suggest to try in the latest versions of the Product - CRV 2013 or CRV 2011.

Free download here:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-29774?url_id=text-na-sapcom-crviewer-trial-landing-scn

Former Member
0 Kudos

The new version doesn't help either.  If anyone has a solution to this problem PLEASE let us know.  This is a huge pain.  Thanks

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In the CR designer, there is a "No Printer" option:

Open the report in the designer, go to the File menu, select Page Setup.

See if that helps.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree with Chuck.  The user downloaded the newest version of CRV and the report was still canted.

Ludek - That is a reasonable recommendation.  I'll save the report with the "No Printer" option and report back.  Thanks for chiming in.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same issue here, opened a thread in November and still haven't got a solution.

Please post back if you managed to make it work

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3655518