cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval templates don't fire when updating document

Former Member

I'm running trials in my test database and it appears that approval templates only work on new added documents?  SAP Business One version 8.82  I am testing a query that calculates certain criteria against the business partner's credit limit.  If there is a deviation I want the approval process to start.

Everything works fine when I add a new sales order with a doctotal that deviates from my credit limit logic.  Approvals fire off and the user has to wait for the manager to approve.  However if I add a sales order with zero value and then go back in and update the pricing later the approval never triggers.  So users are just able to go around approvals by adding blank documents first and then updating them however they see fit.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just how SAP B1 approvals function?  Do approval templates have any impact on updated documents?

0 Kudos

Approval can work on update mode also but the terms should be "Always" instead of Query or Other condition.

Try adding some value in Row Level and then update it will work

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

frank_wang6
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, approval template will not work with updating existing document.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

It is most unfortunate that SAP doesn't have a way of dealing with document updates.  Kind of defeats the purpose of the approvals function.  Some of my users like to enter all their documents header data all at once and then go back through and enter pricing data.  Their normal workflows just completely bypasses the approvals functionality.

frank_wang6
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TN is correct alternative way to block that. Or you can run alert to compare current transaction with history transaction in ADOC, ADO1 to find who has changed document after approval, basically you can alert management who is cheating.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my case the users aren't being malicious they just fill out the forms in such a way that it breaks the approval's functionality.  Thanks for the possible work-arounds.  I think I can make it work now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am working on Approvals and I am using SP Transaction Notification.

I would like the Purchase Request to be approved.  The manager would get a Notification to Logon to SAP and approve the Purchase Request.

So I have used   if  @Object_Type = '112'  ...  (112 is for Draft Object , table ODRF)

This works fine...

However, when the Manager login and on Alert he click on the Message, update the status to APPROVED and click on UPDATE button

The object this time is not 112... Does anyone know which Object

I tried 81, 122 but this does not work .. I would like the request to get a mail back saying the Document is Approved pls Logon and add the Purchase Request

Regards

Bernard

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Approval can work on update mode also but the terms should be "Always" instead of Query or Other condition.

Try adding some value in Row Level and then update it will work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Maybe you can use TN as an alternative to solve your problem.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is a TN?

frank_wang6
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Transaction Notification Store Procedure, which is the official SAP B1's method to get notice when a transaction happen in system.

You should read Gordon's book. Mastering SQL Queries for SAP Business One: Gordon Du: 9781849682367: Amazon.com: Books

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do TN's throw the red bar erros at the bottom of the client's GUI?  The ones that look like this...

I'm looking through the following documentation...

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7034

and I can't seem to confirm what returning @error = 1 will actually cause.

kothandaraman_nagarajan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Approval will not work for updating documents. Only works while adding document. This is standard system design.

Thanks.