Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it wise to become a SAP functional consultant after 8 years of experience in Marketing field for IT/ITES Industry?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have an Engineering Degree (Bachelors) in Computer Science & Information Technology and a Management degree (Masters) in Marketing & Sales. Out of my total 8+ years of experience, I have spent the initial 2 years in Sales and the remaining 6 in Marketing function. I am confident that I'm well versed with Traditional and Digital marketing concepts. I am now looking for a change in career - planning to get certified as a functional consultant by SAP. Please let me know if it is wise to do so at this point in my career and what are the prospects in India and abroad?

1 REPLY 1

jobis
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

The wisdom in chosing a career change into SAP, depends manily on your current situation.

Why do you want to change your career now after 8 years of sales and marketing? Is it going really bad, Are you not liking it?

Or is it because, you dont see a good future prospect in it (salarywise, growth wise)?

If its the 1st case, then you may look at other options.

Now, when you move into SAP, you will have to start from zero. You will be considered as a fresher in SAP, with some required domain experience.

Certification will cost you much money, but it will not guarantee you an entry into SAP, but may give you some interview opportunities

Modules like SD are having so much supply in the market. getting a job as a fresher will be only a matter of luck (only Luck can help you, not even knowledge, this is the situation in India now). If you are lucky you get a job with salary around 3 lakhs/yr or less.

If not lucky, then you need minimum 3 yrs of experience, for that you may have to spend atleast few yrs (say 2 yrs) in some project, some training etc..So you have to devote your time and go without any income but only spendings, for that much period.

After gaining experience too, its tough competition in the market, and if you are really good with module knowledge, you get job. You get job at a very low salary (its around 5 lakhs/ yr in the market now).

At this stage you are almost safe, entered into SAP world.

Things to consider are, the cost of opportunity + the investments of money, hardwork and time + the return in terms of salary and growth in SAP.

Analyse and take a decision. Search this forum for many more related discussions, which will be useful for you

Regards

Jobi