cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA or BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have been following SAP HANA for some time and I aspire to make a career in it. Before I put across my question, let me briefly discuss my education and experience.

Education- B.A, CCNA, CCNP, ITIL certified. Spanish Language Expert.

Experience -  2 years in IT

I started my career in IT as a mere Spanish Language Expert with not much of Technical Skills, But really soon I started taking interest and started learning things. I was really soon moved to SAP end user support (Basically for Spanish clients) due to the project requirements in the organization .

Now I am keen to move into core SAP domain as I have seen being a Multilingual and knowing SAP can open more doors for you.

I have interest in SAP HANA, after inquiring about the training I came across two versions, few people say SAP HANA is an independent technology and having basic knowledge of SQL and BW can help you get into HANA. While other have denied the fact and have asked me to go for BW first and recommend that after gaining some experience I can think about HANA.

Does BW include a lot of client interaction? and what are the inner qualities I should look for within before thinking of BW?

I understand that having Networking knowledge SAP Basis could be the option for me, but the bitter truth is "I feel more lively speaking to people", I would prefer using my multilingual and technical skills both as a part of my job.

I would be grateful if you could take some time and suggest me. I hope to see some replies soon

Best Regards,

Nitesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

adarsh_jainer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nitesh,

I don't think so that it is necessary to do BI or BW before Hana..if you have

basic technical understanding then you can go for hana.

Many of the ABAP consultants have shifted into Hana..its up to you what you want to do

if you are really interested in hana then go for it.

you can visit Open.sap.com and register your self you will find so may video & material related to Hana.

Regards,

Adarsh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitesh,

There is no doubt that learning SAP Hana is much better option than to just learn BW.

Hana is future and not just SAP-BW.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am confused whether to go for BW module first and then HANA, or I should go right away for HANA?

I was told that it is easy to get placed in BW at the moment and from there I could pave my way to HANA.

Also I would like to know if the SAP market in India works totally different from US.

Thanx,

Nitesh Yadav

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion, you should proceed to learn HANA as this is the future, no doubt about it.

Thanks & Regards

Subhasish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Need a sap gui 740

tnecnivo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitesh,

Like what Manoj/Aadarsh suggested, if you need to choose between BW and HANA, I'd say best to go with HANA.

No doubt BW on HANA will speed up the data calculation/transformation. However, if ECC itself is on HANA, then by using certain HANA tools(e.g. RapidMart), we can use source/table we need and do transformation/calculation on the fly by leveraging on In-Memory Hana Technology to generate Real-Time reporting.

At the moment, HANA technology is still quite volatile, but the way I see it, In-Memory technology is the game changer in IT world.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent/Adarsh,

Thank you for your reply.

Is it necessary to learn and have some experience in  BW before diving into HANA?

Because many training institutes have strongly recommended that I should learn BW first.

I understand that HANA is very new and not many people have good understanding of it, specially here in India.

Looking forward to your valuable comments.

Thank You,

Nitesh

adarsh_jainer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nitesh,

I have seen your career history and education background, I would like

to suggest that you i will go for Hana consultant. rather then BI consultant.

Hana is the future because Hana plays an important role in all cloud base

solution of SAP.

If you seen last quarter statement of SAP  then you will find SAP showing its growth because of

cloud base solution.

So its My strong recommendation that you go for Hana.

Thanks and Regards,

Aadarsh J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nitesh,

If you have to choose between HANA Developer and BW hana Consultant in carrier prospective

I strongly recommend you to go with HANA Developer Option.

The scope for BW on HANA consultant is far less when compared to HANA Developer according to me.

Note: Their is one more carrier option with HANA Administration for guys with Basis and administration background. 

Best Regards,

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Thank you for your reply.

Hana indeed seems to be a very promising career option, but when I went to some training institutes, I was suggested that I should go for BW first and then after gaining at least 1 year experience in BW I should think of SAP HANA. They suggested going for HANA right away would be of no use.

Do you have any suggestions on this?

Thank You

Nitesh.