cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Synonym columns not visible in IDT 4.1 SP05

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I have a problem which a lot of people seemed to have solved. Unfortunatelly not me. We are currently using BO 4.1 SP05 and accessing Oracle Exadata (Oracle Client driver). I am trying to include several synonyms in my single source DFX. While I am able to see and add these synonyms, I am unable to see their columns.

I changed the "Include Synonyms" parameter in the Oracle.sbo file (client machine) to True but still no columns.

Has anyone got an idea how to fix this?

Regards, Miha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

former_member193452
Active Participant
0 Kudos

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1953956

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1835823

I've listed two relevant KB's.  Yes this was an issue.

A work around exists to use the parameter "Include Synonyms" as True in the Oracle.sbo file.

Fixes were

BI 4.0 SP 7.7 BI 4.0 SP 8.2 BI 4.0 SP 9 BI 4.1 SP 2.2 BI 4.1 SP 3 Not reproducible in 4.1 SP4.

If you are on at least SP4 and you have used the parameter listed in the KB.  I would investigate this may be a bug regression.

Thanks,

Jacqueline

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Miha,

We had similar issue in 3.x environment with SQL server environment.

We are supposed to support both Oracle and SQL server databases in that case we used Synonyms for Oracle and Views for SQL server.

In our case the name of the table and synonym are same, so what we used to do is develop the universe using normal user who has access to the main tables and then we used to use the actual user for testing. So it displays the columns always

The pain point is whenever you want to change/refresh the structure you need to login as the user who has access to main tables.

If you think you can manage this activity then you can still go ahead use synonyms.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Miha,

Were you able to resolve the issue?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi and thanks for the replies!

I want to emphasize what I posted in my initial post:

1. I am using UNX/IDT (solution with external strategies not applicable).

2. I already tried setting the "Include Synonyms" parameter in the Oracle.sbo file and it didn't work.

So, none of the above suggestions provide any help.

I am starting to suspect that the cause for this behavior is somewhere else (DB level). Maybe I should use views instead of synonyms. Hm...

Regards,

Miha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you can use views instead of synonyms.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

just to echo the above

Note SAP 1622792 - BI 4.x Columns from Oracle synonym tables are not visible in data foundation and universe structure

and also some other related notes:

1575246 - RUBI40 : Refresh Structure give error "The selected tables were not found" using Oracle Pu...

1706214 - Synonym Columns not visible in UDT 4.0

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

We are currently on BI4.1 SP6 and facing the same issue with some Oracle based universes from Universe designer Tool.

Let me know if any resolution is available for the issue.

Rgds,

Unmesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The issue was resolved after following the below SAP Note: 1706214 - Synonym Columns not visible in UDT 4.0

One  of the user was not able to replicate the note, so we provided the access to Oracle.sbo file, after making changes he had to restart his laptop which resolved it at his end (may be some cache issue).

Thanks

Unmesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

This is the bug with SAP version.

But you can still add synonyms by doing following steps:

http://rakshits-bi.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/sbo-designer-enable-use-of-synonyms-in.html

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Swapnil

As far as I know, this was a bug, which was supposed to be fixed (introduction of the "Include Synonyms" parameter), but obviously hasn't. Your proposed workaround includes external strategies which to my knowledge aren't supported in IDT. The affected universe is in the UNX format, so IDT is mandatory. If the above workaround can be achieved in the IDT, please let me know.

Regards,

Miha