Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the diagserver ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We hit a Error 834

Error 834, Severity: 20, State: 3

00:0005:00000:02377:2015/05/05 02:57:39.91 server Illegal attempt to clean buffer: BUF=0x0x00002b12b63ed4c8, MASS=0x0x00002b12b63ed4c8,

Buf#=0, page=0x0x00002b1014c10000, dbid=93, Mass vdevno=127, vpage=4103856, Buf lpage=982, Mass stat=0x4010001, Buf stat=0x2, size=16384, cid=3 ('tempdb_cache1'), Pinned xdes=0x(nil), spid=0.

which the manual here

http://infocenter.sybase.com/archive/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.dc00729_1500/html/errMessageAdvRes/...

says 

This state is only raised by diagserver.

Isn't the diagserver a separate executable ?

But we're only running the standard executable ?

Is there another way to get this message ?

Also what causes this ? It seems to have causes a tempdb to be unavailable and a reboot to fix it.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

The manual is in error (the statement used to be true, but no longer is).  I filed a doc bug on this a few months ago and it should get fixed in future documentation.

Diagserver is a separate executable.  It is similar to the dataserver binary, but the dataserver binary has been compiled with feedback optimization (FBO) techniques that make it run faster, but also make it difficult to run under a debugger.  The diagserver is compiled more normally, with symbolic names left in place.  It also contains various diagnostic assertions that are only active in the diagserver binary; these are sometimes helpful in giving out more information when diagnosing a problem.

834 is generally caused by a bug in ASE, where there is confusion over whether a buffer is still in use or not.  I recommend opening a support incident to investigate this error, with a quick check I only find one known bug clearly showing state 3, and it was created and resolved during development of the initial 16.0 release.

-bret

Former Member
0 Kudos

> 834 is generally caused by a bug in ASE, where there is confusion over whether a buffer is still in use or not.

Ah.

> I recommend opening a support incident to investigate this error, with a quick check I only find one

>  known bug clearly showing state 3, and it was created and resolved during development of the initial

> 16.0 release.

We've opened a case.

Could you let me know the bug so I can update the support team.

Any reason it was fixed in 16.0 but we still have the bug in 15.7 ?

And chance it could be included in SP134 ?

Thanks for the help.

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

The CR was 753886, but it certainly does not apply to 15.7 - it's root cause was clearly tracked to a previous change made only to the 16.0 codeline during development (i.e. before release of 16.0 GA).  Since you are seeing this error on 15.7, it must be some other bug (not necessarily a known one yet).

-bret

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks - we've raised a support call.

I guess they'll raise a CR for this - I'll update the incident with the frequency of issues.

Answers (0)