cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Verification and barcode scanning

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to setup Assembly Data type to validate the part number.  The part number is embedded in a linear bar code with fixed locations within the bar code.  Is there a way to do a substring of the bar code to extract the part number?

I was looking at utilizing ITEM_VERIFY but my belief is that it will try to validate the entire string rather than just the portion of the bar code.

The part number is either at the start or the end of the barcode (varies by part number).

Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

1. What characters does the barcode actually contain in addition to the part number? If possible, can you provide specific examples of each type?

2. Is there the potential that both prefixed and postfixed barcodes could be scanned by the same barcode scanner?

Regards, Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here are some examples:

Part Number 1234567 in all 3 cases

1234567ABCDEFG

AB10-I2:   ABC:ABCDEFG:1234567

123-4567-01¥ABCDEFG¥AB-12  ¥ABCDE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul

It's likely you would need a customisation to do exactly this - SAP ME cannot natively substring a 1D barcode. Many scanners are programmable however - have you investigated the scanners you have? They may be able to substring and pass just the material number to the client. If you move to 2D barcodes and scanners, SAP ME supports this in some activities, but that would be a big change to your current way of working.

Stuart