Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of EHs and EH messages per day

pietro_marovello
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I'm involved in a project where is required the creation of a very high number of Event Handlers and the posting of many events on them: from the technical point of view, what is the maximum number of Event Handlers that is possible to create per day and the maximum number of events that is possible to post?

The number are different if it is used OER solution instead of EM solution? Do you have standard documentation about it?

Thank you in advance,

Pietro

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

pietro_marovello
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear All,

thank you very much for your comments and recommendations,  but I should have accurate information about any specific technical limits regarding the maximum number of EHs that is possible to create per day: anyone can help me?

Best regards,

Pietro

Affan_alavi
Explorer
0 Kudos

I've been part of two postal projects, and here is my opinion on this topic:

1. EM is capable of handling this volume of data. I also don't see the need for OER.

2. Obviously your solution should consider EM as a standalone system with its own server space. Sizing will have to be done very carefully.

3. I agree with Kevin on making sure we have a good archiving strategy in place as well as focus on improving the performance in three areas: Rule processing, inbound interfaces and queries in EM to retrieve data.

pietro_marovello
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ratnakar,

I have your own opinion, the issue is related to the high volume of data required, this is why I need to know if exists a technical cap to be respected.

Best regards,

Pietro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro,

This is very very huge volume and understand postal requires this.

Ratnakar point also valid and needs to consider.

1. You can use SAP Benchmarking tool Business Performance Benchmarking | Software & Services | SAP to obtain exact information.

2. Check this    SAP Event Management - Six Key Things To Consider During Server Sizing

3. Wait for other members what they can suggest based on their real time experience.

4. may help you.

Regards

GGOPII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro,

Canada post implemented SAP Event Management long back.

You can see in this article http://sapinsider.wispubs.com/Assets/Case-Studies/2009/August/New-Managed-Release-Program-Keeps-Cana...

Regards

GGOPII

kevin_wilson2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Gopi,

I was the EM Solution Architect for the Canadian Pacific project and it is not a good example. SAP CDP did a custom solution for them right down to a custom event processor class. There is no one with these comparable numbers. We have 8 million events posting a day and with that solution we made sure to architect a solution with archiving in mind. With this one you have to make sure the EH and its related events are forwarded on to an analytical DB ASAP to free up the table space. Concentrate on a simple clean solution with few expected events and minimal parameters otherwise the tables will become quickly unwieldly. Keep the rule set as nimble and efficient as possible. There are many techniques we use to ensure efficient use of the rule set which is key to performance. Stay away from sets but you will have to use EH hierarchies for your aggregation. Also stay away from EPCIS interface. Stick to either RFC (if you know what you are doing in that space) or IDocs posting in parallel.

We have done quite a few of these Parcel Track and Trace projects and each one brings their own challenges. One that always catches folks out is having the event timezone accurately portrayed. This is critical for EM posting yet sometimes this detail is not available and has the be calculated prior to posting. Try do that efficiently 600m times a day...

Drop me a mail at kevin@erpgenie.com if you need more detailed discussion or even a demo on the topic.

THanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very good one Kevin and Affan...

Hi Pietro,

1. Check whether the client is going to implement SAP HANA along with SAP EM.

2. If you connect SAP EM with SAP HANA through SLT, the real time data will be available for client.

3. The real time queries and reporting can be directed and handled by SAP HANA.

4. Need to have good road map for Big Database.

Let us know if you need any information to help you.

Regards

GGOPII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro,

It depends on your company requirement, If it is pharma or healthcare then we have EPCIS standard functions and it post more than 100 thousand per day (some clients).  SAP recommends SAP AII, SAP OER and SAP EM as combination.

If you are working in ECC or SAP TM integrated SAP EM, then I saw few companies they would post minimum 10000 event handlers per day.

It is purely how system capacity you define to have events.

What is customer expected event handlers and event messages per day?

Regards

GGOPII

pietro_marovello
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Gopi,

the Customer is in the Postal Sector, the requirement is the tracking of all the sent iterms (mail, parcel, i.e.) in the Retail and B2B scenario: we are talking of about 5'000'000'000 of items/EHs per year.

Moreover, it is required to track all the aggregates objects created along the supply chain (dispatch, container i.e.), so we can imagine to have just as many EHs to create.

Depending on the kind of item we will post a different number of events, but we can imagine more or less 10 events per EH.

So, these are the numbers:

- Creation of about 26'000'000 of Event Handlers per day

- Posting of about 260'000'000 of events per day

The Customer asked to us if there is a maximum limit on that, and because at the moment we are in the proposal phase we need to have an answer the most accurate as possible!

Best regards,

Pietro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pietro,

Telling from experience of working on similar parcel tracking scenario with high volume, functionality wise EM will serve better in comparison to OER in various aspects.

OER uses the same EM engine in its core but EPCIS interface limits the flexibility provided by RFC interface.

Moreover, since the volume is high, you should also take several measures to forbid any untoward situation

Regards,

Ratnakar