cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical sample numbers are not in sequential order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am creating an inspection lot through QA01 and using flex specs. If I create 30 samples, let's say, and save, it will create 30 physical samples. The problem I am seeing is that sometimes the sample numbers jump around numbers, so I will get 110000936 for the first sample and then 110000950 for the second sample. Does anyone know why the numbers are not in sequential order and/or how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190267
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joseh,

Actually this is not an error but caused by number range buffering.

Check 62077 which explains the system logic in details.

BR,

Natália

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I looked at this note and will now consult the business users.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, do you think setting the buffer to an extremely large number, let's say 1000, would greatly minimize the occurrence of non-sequential numbers?

former_member190267
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph,

Actually the workaround could be to lower the number of the buffer.

If you want a continuous number assignment, you can deactivate number range buffering. Bear in mind that this can cause considerably performance loss.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Natalia. This is probably an unanswerable question, but do you know how considerable we are talking about? Or do you know of a good way to stress test something like this?

Thanks,

former_member190267
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Joseph,

I really don't know how to estimate the performance loss, but if you deactivate number range buffering, a number is assigned in each case and the table remains locked until the next COMMIT or ROLLBACK. Another disvantage is that you cannot request numbers in parallel.

I don't know for what scenario you want to use this, but for example, then lets say, three users A, B and C click on create PO, then the PO will be created with the number, lets say, 2, 3 and 4 for the users respectively. Now, if user A cancels the PO creation process, then user B whose document number is already generated as 3 will have to be change to 2 and for C whose documnet number was 4 will have to be changed to 3, but then 3 is already in use and all these things can not happen simultanously and will lead to a deadlock situation.

Best regards,

Natália

Martin_H
Contributor
0 Kudos

Please do consider to challenge the (business?) requirement: who is requesting sequential numbering, and why? As Natalia is stating below almost everywhere in SAP you will not have a sequential numbering.

Regards

MH

Answers (0)