cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the authentication method for file system data connections

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been using Crystal Reports XI Professional to design reports accessing our SQL database for many years.  I have recently found the feature of connecting to the File System Data as the data source and have been able to utilize that with great success on my local machine.  When I save the file to our server for use by another program utilizing a crystal viewer I receive an InternalFormatterException error.  I assume this has to do with the report not being able to access the file system data source as it did on my local machine.  (I am accessing a mapped drive which is mapped identically on all associated computers)  In troubleshooting this I remember the first time I connected to a File System Data source, it asked how to connect.  I decided against typing in my windows credentials at that time and used windows authentication which worked well on my local machine, but am guessing this is what is causing errors when our accounting software is trying to pull up the report since there is not a specific windows user associated with it.  Does anyone know how to get back to the authentication settings and change to a specific user and password for file system access?  I have clicked through every menu and right click option I can find at this point... I believe I am on the right track, but may be way off base as well.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew

Typically the InternalFormatterException wousl not be caused by database issues. Rather I'd suspect that there is a coding issue; make sure that the app works as follows:

load report

logon to the db

ensure subreports are also logged on to the db

set any CR parameters

Run report (view, export, print)

Now, I kind of skipped over a few basics here:

OS?

Exact version of CR?

Web, Win app?

CR SDK; .NET, RDC?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thanks for the reply!

The report is very simple without any sub-reports and only uses the file system data source.  It runs via Crystal Reports XI Professional on my local machine just fine and returns data as expected.  A screen shot of what the report returns is below.  As I stated, very simple:

My local OS is Windows 7 Pro

CR Professional; Product Type: Full; Version: 11.0.0.1282

Where it does not work is through our accounting system software.  It will pop up the screen asking for the parameter as normal, but then give the error after the parameter is entered.  I have a multitude of complicated reports that run through my accounting system software in the same manner that use our SQL database.

Server is running MS Server 2008 R2

Our accounting software is a locally hosted web app that uses an embedded crystal viewer to post pdf views of the reports to the browser. It is called Spectrum and is made by Dexter & Chaney.  I don’t know the details on the report viewer that is embedded.  They have stated it is compatible with all features of XI and most features of 2011.

Thanks,

-Matt

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahhh!

CR 11.0 is not supported on WIN 7. So, you will have to contact Spectrum and see if they have a later version of their software that uses CR XI R2 (11.5) as that supports WIN 7.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have also written the report on another machine running Windows XP.  Crystal Reports XI Pro runs just fine on both local machines.  After developing the report, I copy it to the server with the report viewer where I get the error. 

Do you know of any way to change what Crystal uses for accessing the file system structure from windows authentication to a manually typed user and password?  I had a box that came up the first time accessing "file system data" as a source type that had me choose between a specific typed user and password or windows authentication.  I chose windows authentication and I would like to change it, but can not find where to do so.

Thanks,

-Matt

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure about CR XI - too much water under that bridge... but I think it was similar to CR 2013. Look under "set Datasource Location". It should look something like this:

- Ludek

Answers (0)