cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to EHP7 with a system copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

I have a situation where I'm doing a migration from one server to another i.e. upgrading the hardware.  I'll be doing this with a homogenous system copy.  I'm also upgrading ECC to EHP7 and the database to MSSQL 2012 and this is on a Windows platform.  My question is, is it possible to upgrade the system from EHP0 to EHP7 while doing the system copy/migration?  Basically a system copy is installing the system using a database backup or export. 

Regards,

Jim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Reagan and Matt,

Thank you for your response.  After I posted this, I thought about it and came to the conclusion that an upgrade couldn't be done with a migration because of the levels that things need to be at before the upgrade so you are both correct and again thank you for your input.  I've done migrations and upgrades in the past and I believe I just wanted to get some input.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm actually doing a hardware migration of an EhP4 system right now, this weekend, as a matter of fact (we'll upgrade to EhP7 later in the year). However, I'm also in the middle of a migration/upgrade project for SRM where we are doing both at once, migrate and upgrade, and it is exactly as Reagan says: first migrate to the new hardware with SWPM, then upgrade with SUM. In the case of the Windows/SQL version upgrades, there is no actual upgrade to do -- you simply install the desired target versions of Windows and SQL on the new hardware, then migrate with SWPM into it (taking care to have the correct kernel version for your target OS/DBMS available during target system install). However, again as Reagan says, you must be certain that your source system meets minimum Basis SP requirements for the new SQL Server version before you migrate, so you might need to apply a support pack or two in the source system before export if you don't already meet those requirements. Since you plan to immediately upgrade after the migration, I wouldn't apply any more support packs on the source than the minimum necessary to get you to SQL 2012 compliance.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

They both are two different activities. System copy is done using the sapinst tool (SWPM) and the upgrade is done using the SUM tool. You need to first move the system to a higher or supported version of OS/DB and then do the upgrade to EHP7.

To setup SAP systems on MSSQL 2012 and Windows 2012 check these SAP notes as there is a requirement to have the systems with minimum SP level for MSSQL 2012

1676665 - Setting up Microsoft SQL Server 2012

1651862 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2012

1732161 - SAP Systems on Windows Server 2012 (R2)

Once the target system is ready create a stack file using the MOPZ and kick start the upgrade.