cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB6 + Crystal Reports + SQL 2012 configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a legacy VB6 application currently using Crystal Reports V8 to generate reports againts SQL 2000 and running on Windows 2000 Server. We want to migrate this application to Windows 2008 R2 Server and migrate the application database to SQL 2012.

From various blogs I understand that CR 11.5 (CR 11 R2) is the last Crystal Reports version to support VB6 and unfortunately it supports only MS SQL 2008. I am in a tricky situation to migrate this legacy application to supported platform with the below configuration.

VB6 + Crystal Reports + MS SQL 2012 to run on Windows 2008 R2 Server.

I am not going to add any new reports to the application, my job is just to move this application to above system configuration with minimum to no changes. Can you please tell me a way to get this working.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moving CR XI R2 to WIN 2008 Server should be doable. See this blog though:

The blog is for ASP apps, but still have a look.

Making the reports work with MS SQL 2012 will more than likely not be possible as you're asking for a 4 or 5 year forward compatibility.

My approach to this would be as follows:

Install CR XI R2 designer on the WIN 2008 Server, see if the reports will run against the MS SQL 2012 db there. If not, no need trying it in the VB 6 app. If it don't work in the designer, it will not work in the VB 6 app either.

If you actually can connect to the DB successfully, install the VB 6 app.

Keep your fingers crossed and see if that works. If not... only option is to port the app to the CR SDK for .NET or Java.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Answers (0)