cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material classification issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I'm having difficulties finding a solution for a request at my company.

Business is asking for a material class "Marketing drives" where they can assign different drives to certain materials.

The data for these drives (key, description and validitiy period) are comming from a Z-table. Now, the class is created and I created one characteristic for the class which is linked to the key of the check table via the "other value check".

The issue I have now is that the business also wants to see the description in the material class. In normal cases, I would create a second characteristic and make a dependency but I do not know how that would work because I would need to go and make a select from the Z-table.

Can anyone give me some ideas?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sandrahauptmann
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

you cannot do this with a check table. You have to use a function module instead. Please have a look at note 1155969 - there you can find an example.

Regards,

Sandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sandra,

yes, that is already in the direction I was looking for. Very helpfull.

do you happen to know if you can set the value of another characteristic with a function module?

best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

anyone?

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you happen to know if you can set the value of another characteristic with a function module?

Tom Lismont,

Its posisble to set a value of a characterstic based upon calculations performed by a FM logic.

Create a FM with desired logic , check in CT04, click on other values and it will give you pop up to choose option as shown below. and assign the FM.

Hope it wil help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Yes, I know that part.

But what I mean is if you can change or set the value of another characteristic then the one where the fm is linked to.

Example:

Class: Marketing drives

Char1: Key

Char2: Description

When the user selects a value for characteristic "Key" the FM automatically populates the value for the description characteristic. The values for Char 1 and char 2 are comming from a check table.

Best regards

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When the user selects a value for characteristic "Key" the FM automatically populates the value for the description characteristic. The values for Char 1 and char 2 are comming from a check table.

Its what i understand , you can create an FM to read values from characterstic   Char1: Key and the read its discription from check table for description and derive the description and set as a value for  Char2: Description. Attach this FM to Char2: Description. and it will work.

The only thing i am not sure is if it works with non VC too, you can build a quick prototype in sandbox.

check and rpely with findings.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Unfortunatly it does not seem to work.

What I have done: Link FM Z_CHECK_MKT_DRIVE to char 1.

FUNCTION Z_CHECK_MKT_DRIVE.

*"----------------------------------------------------------------------

*"*"Local Interface:

*"  IMPORTING

*"     REFERENCE(CHARACT_NO) TYPE  ATINN

*"     REFERENCE(CHARACT) TYPE  ATNAM

*"     REFERENCE(VALUE) TYPE  ATWRT

*"  EXPORTING

*"     REFERENCE(DESCRIPTION) TYPE  ATWTB

*"----------------------------------------------------------------------

DATA: lv_value TYPE atwrt.

select single zdesc from ZEAG_MKT_DRIVES into description

where prog_key = value.

ENDFUNCTION.

I do not see an option somewhere to change the value of Char2 in this FM.

In the classification tab nothing happens when I select a value in char 1 (marketing_drive).

Someone an idea?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

pardhreddyc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Are you using "material variants"? Have you assigned in basic data-2 of material master for client specific and for plant specific at MRP-3 view.

If you are using with class type 300, you can see the description of the characteristic.

Regards,

Pardhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pardhu,

No, I'm not using variant configuration. Only material classification of type 001.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe I was not 100% clear in my request.

In the check table there are 3 fields: key, description and validity period.

In the class I want to have 2 characteristics: Key and description. The key will be linked to the check table so he can choose between one of the available ones. Now, when the user selects one of the keys, I want the description to be populated automatically as well from the table.

pardhreddyc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

at what stage exactly you would like to see the description? If you want the characteristics to be shown at the time of GRN, then use class type 023  for batches if you are in batch management.

Class types 001, 300, and 200 are defined for materials.Class type 300 is for variant configuration. Class type 200 is for classes that are used as class items in bills of material. All materials can be used in class type 001.

Class type 001 is just for having additional information about the Material specifications.

Just try with class type 012 to classify your desired characteristics and check whether are you getting or not.

Regards,

Pardhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is indeed just additional information about the materials which we want to display so I would need to use class type 001.

pardhreddyc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Could you kindly let me know at what stage you would like to view those descriptions?

Regards,

Pardhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pardhu,

at MM03 or MM02, right after the user selects the key.

Regards

pardhreddyc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

After selecting view "Classification" view in MM03 OR MM02 ?

Could you pls post the screen shot?

Regards

Pardhu