cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup of DB2 Staging Database for SAP OrgModeler

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I have completed the Netweaver AS JAVA and licensed the Nakisa OrgChart and Modeler components. Please recommend the process involved in
setting up/installing the additional DB2 10.1 db instance that is required of the
OrgModeler Staging DB. I have a distributed db2 instance for the
Netweaver
CE installation ie APP and DB servers are on on their own Lpars. I am therefore searching for information as to what's required for the additional DB2 staging area for the OrgChart. Is the requirement another DB instance on the existing NW db server, do I commence to install another db instance, what are the recommendated DB parameters, schema etc?

I am unable to find details guides that explain the process rather only references an existing availability of the staging db and the
connection details
thereafter

Regards

Deena

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

StephenMillard
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deena.

I have to admit I've only ever implemented VSN systems on SQL Server and Oracle.  A bit of a shame as my career started with lots of work on DB2 mainframe databases and midrange UDB databases.

However there are some pieces of Nakisa documentation (available with your installation/SMP) that should help you at least a little bit:

VSN 4.3 Master Guide

• Provides some background information on use.

VSN 4.3 Deployment Guide

• Section 2.1
  • Section 5.1 to 5.3 -> temporary and regular tablespace sizes must be set to 32kb ... ideally set the DB2 user account to have administrator privileges.

VSN 4.3 Environment Check List

• Note that any database requires a case insensitive collation -> for searching to work correctly.

VSN 4.3 OrgModeler Admin Guide

• Provides some information on how to configure the database connections but not on setting up the database.
  • When running the jobs, updates, etc. these will create the necessary tables, views and constraints as well as populating with data.  The exception being if you are using anything like preferences where you need to initialise (create) the table using AdminConsole.

My high level summary would be like this...

You will in effect need a separate space in which the application can store it's data.  This could be on an existing RDBMS and even in the same database if the pre-requisites match, but I would be tempted to isolate it into its own database on the RDBMS for ease of backup.  Make sure the table space size and collation are correctly set.  Give the user account a high level of privileges to be able to create, drop, modify, etc. and configure your app to use it.

... but I would recommend that you read through the details in the Nakisa documentation to ensure that you have a deeper understanding of what is required and you may pick up on things I have overlooked here.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Stephen.

Answers (0)