Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Mantra of Success so difficut that it makes you wait a lot - Lost Reading between Lines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Is so difficult or am I not reading very well ... months and months pass but the wait is not over...

I know lot of guys in  community suggested to wait and keep on continuing reading new stuff however till how long .. ever week hordes or requirements come but every one wants 7-8 Yrs of Experience

Some time I think am not reading what the requirement exactly says 7-8 Yrs of Experience

Do they need Domain Experience

Or Do they need Experience as consultant

Or is that something else

Any ways ... am not decoding this very well ... and will hope die without ever giving a one try for proving myself

Need Help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI Aniket

I guess first thing up is do you have 7 to 8 years experience in the topic in general?

As someone who has to go through writing these jobs descriptions, number of years experience and implementations is used as an indication of skills and experience. At the moment, I use these approximate breakdowns

1. 0-2 years - graduate/zero experience. I'm probably looking for someone with skills that I can use to then teach them SAP. So I might look for great communication, critical analysis, self-motivated. I'll invest my time into training them but I need to see the have the personality type to excel... and that I'm not wasting my time. It is rare I look for this skill as I usually have a very lean team and don't have time and capacity to invest in training. This person may even be certified and formally train but it doesn't mean I can trust them on my systems and leave them to their own devices
  2. 2-4 years - now I'm hitting the junior level. I can trust they have the basic skills and do the repetitive tasks. In the more common areas, they are also probably capable of interpreting requirements. I'll still probably be given them task-based activities and all design/architecture done
  3. 5-8 years - intermediate. Here's someone who has a few implementations under their belt and you can trust them to design/architect stuff in solo. Depending on the complexity they might need guidance from a more senior person. In some cases, it's just them for their topic so they're working indepdnet
  4. 8+ years on wards can identify business opportunities, architect the solutions and find improvement opportunities. This group is also trusted to be able to work with all layers of the business including senior executives and project sponsors/board.

Of course, if the produce is new the years is condensed and squished. Salaries will also reflect experience. Then, each year that goes on there are more experienced people in the market so for me - I can easily find people with 5+ years experience so why both looking for 2 years. This might seem unfair for someone trying to break in to the industry but the employer has to invest time and resources to train.,

Type of experience will really depend on the role

Good luck with your job searching. My only tip is that not everyone will have 100% strict on years of experience. If you are shy 1 or 2 years in some cases you might still have a chance. Focus on your application in telling the hiring person what you have achieved and delivered, how your improve your skills, etc.

Regards

Colleen

@all - be interesting to see how you break down years of experience and expectations.

8 REPLIES 8

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI Aniket

I guess first thing up is do you have 7 to 8 years experience in the topic in general?

As someone who has to go through writing these jobs descriptions, number of years experience and implementations is used as an indication of skills and experience. At the moment, I use these approximate breakdowns

1. 0-2 years - graduate/zero experience. I'm probably looking for someone with skills that I can use to then teach them SAP. So I might look for great communication, critical analysis, self-motivated. I'll invest my time into training them but I need to see the have the personality type to excel... and that I'm not wasting my time. It is rare I look for this skill as I usually have a very lean team and don't have time and capacity to invest in training. This person may even be certified and formally train but it doesn't mean I can trust them on my systems and leave them to their own devices
  2. 2-4 years - now I'm hitting the junior level. I can trust they have the basic skills and do the repetitive tasks. In the more common areas, they are also probably capable of interpreting requirements. I'll still probably be given them task-based activities and all design/architecture done
  3. 5-8 years - intermediate. Here's someone who has a few implementations under their belt and you can trust them to design/architect stuff in solo. Depending on the complexity they might need guidance from a more senior person. In some cases, it's just them for their topic so they're working indepdnet
  4. 8+ years on wards can identify business opportunities, architect the solutions and find improvement opportunities. This group is also trusted to be able to work with all layers of the business including senior executives and project sponsors/board.

Of course, if the produce is new the years is condensed and squished. Salaries will also reflect experience. Then, each year that goes on there are more experienced people in the market so for me - I can easily find people with 5+ years experience so why both looking for 2 years. This might seem unfair for someone trying to break in to the industry but the employer has to invest time and resources to train.,

Type of experience will really depend on the role

Good luck with your job searching. My only tip is that not everyone will have 100% strict on years of experience. If you are shy 1 or 2 years in some cases you might still have a chance. Focus on your application in telling the hiring person what you have achieved and delivered, how your improve your skills, etc.

Regards

Colleen

@all - be interesting to see how you break down years of experience and expectations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colleen Thanks it was interesting ... would like to tell you one more fact about me

I have an 10 Yrs of Experience in Project Handling and am  PMP Professional  PRINCE 2 and ITIL professional .

Is there some thing that I can use to get gelling of my experience done ?

Leave this question open to get responses from some of them like me who are trying to pass through and Swim ...

Thanks

Aniket

0 Kudos

Hi Aniket,

You have 10 yrs of Project Mngt Exp and PMP certified. Then why are you looking at 7 -8 yrs experience job?

You must be applying for project lead roles in your industry..and with such credentials, getting the job will be easy.

Regards

Jobi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jobi ... can that be converted in SAP's Parlance .. I mean Project Lead in SAP ?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi,

Normally most companies in India, would prefer a PL who has some experience in the particular technology. So PLs a role for an existing module lead or Principal Consultant in an IT company in India.

So its not that easy to get in there, if u dont have that technology experience.

Here am thinking, why you want to get into SAP project handling, when every project handling is almost same in terms of work profile and responsibilities..?  This is what I feel.

THanks

Jobi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jobi ...

I agree R&R's for projects , however I always wanted to presue SAP as my interest area I am keen to part of projects which see transformation (Eg Replacing BI with HANA Reports or Upgrading the Release) however the right kind of opportunities are not coming through

Thanks
Aniket

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am lost .... came with lot of excitement that I would show my reediness to learn lot of stuff

implement projects which have challenge ... however seems that it does not convert into

Market Values

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Is not on SCN able to advice on below