cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRP without MRP strategy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We have a make to stock scenario, but we are not using any MRP strategy, I mean that we are not filling field Strategy group MRP 3 view. The MRP works fine son, which are the differences between using a strategy group or not in material master?

Thanks in advance.

Laura

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Laura,

The requirements type contains the control parameters for planning and consuming planned independent requirements and customer requirements. Different requirements types or combinations of requirements types from planned independent requirements and customer requirements are defined for each planning strategy.

It can be triggered either from MRP group or from direct material master strategy group field.

By assigning a planning strategy to a particular material, the system determines the correct requirements type when creating planned independent requirements or sales orders.

See below SAP help link for more information Determination of the Requirements Type - Demand Management (PP-MP-DEM) - SAP Library

BR
KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for your response. I know that these strategies contain control parameters etc., but in our case, we do not need to indicate any strategy because the system works correctly. My question is why it is working fine and which advantages could we have indicating this value.

BR.

Laura

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Laura,

but in our case, we do not need to indicate any strategy because the system works correctly

What do you mean by system works fine? What is triggering point to generate requirements for your header material?

If you do not want to have  any independent requirements like PIR or Sales order requirements to be created for your material then you can keep this field blank I hope you are doing same now.

For production/process order point of view planning stratergy do not play any role as for below components requirements are passed from you header item through MRP.

BR
KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

Every week the planning department updates the production plan. It means that they create the planned orders for the finished products. Once it has been done, they launch MRP and dependent requirements are updated according to BOM. That’s what I mean with it works fine.

I don't know if using a planning strategy would give us any advantage. I have been reading about them but I'm not sure about their scope.

Thanks Again Kiran.

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Laura,

I agree with you, As you are directly loading production plan and creating planned orders for header item planning strategy does not required in your case as MRP creates dependent requirements for sub assemblies and components based on header item planned orders.

BR
KK

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Laura,

Planning strategy represents business procedure to manufacture a product and planning of quantities & dates.

In terms of SAP, its the combination of requirement types. There requirement types can come either from Demand Management as PIR or from Customer requirment as Sales Order. These requirement types are linked with Requirement Class that contol various parameters. As you said you are already aware of there parameters so lets not go any deeper into this.

MRP mainly runs on the control parameters maintained for requirement planning and not for planning strategy ( for ex, MRP type, lot size, plant parameter etc). You will not find much of the differnence if you are using make to stock scenario but it makes a lot of difference if you want to use make to order or configurable material becasue in that case you can not link sales orders to planned order and also can not use functionalities of configurable mateirals if you are not using correct strategy.

Planning strategies are predefined buniess processes that are easliy be deployed by maintianing strategy group field in MRP 3. The combination of various requirement types (or requirement class) helps you setup certain business scenaios (example : predefined make to order, make to stock, configurable materials, assembly order planning or planning components). The combinations are many and you have freedom to create your own based on your business requirement.

Regards,

Rohit

pardhreddyc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

System works fine even without strategy,Because the strategy scenario is mainly for sales related activities for finished products for fore cast related activities.

Normally manufacturing point of view for procurement of spares and consumables, it is not required

and it can run with MRP types and lot size parameters.

Regards,

pardhu