Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplex printing only works with multiple pages

ron_dijkstra4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all output gurus,

I've been struggling to print duplex in SAP. But I have succeeded finally. The purchase order (PO) page setup is as follows:

FIRST > TERMS

TERMS <> NEXT   ( <> which means NEXT has successor page TERMS again)

So on the backside of each page the terms and conditions are printed. Awesome! But when I have a PO of only one page; the backside is blank; no terms there.

How can I force SAP to print the terms, at all times?

many thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just make sure, that you always print at least two pages...

You also got the problem, that you never print your terms on the back of the last page.

Easy solution is to add at the very end of your MAIN-processing a condition which force the smarforms to print "TERMS" once.

Got it? If not, you need to share a screen of your SF-tree and I do my best to add the correct place with paint

~Florian

ron_dijkstra4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your input; this is exactly how I have done it. I'm working with Sap script though..

I made an extra page, with the conditions that is printed at the end of the MAIN processing. So now I even have the terms on the last page, or in my example, have the terms printed on the backside as well, even with only one page print.

Now the next 'problem' rises. On a duplex printer this works like a charm; but I wonder if I get problems with a non-duplex printer. I haven't been able to test that yet; but I do not want to print out the terms as a separate page after each page.

(so, if a normal print would be 3 duplicate pages on a duplex printer, I would rather *not* have 6 single sided pages of which 3 would be the terms, but only 1 times the terms)...

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have a look at the system-parameters ( SAPSCRIPT-*) there you can do a comparing with your duplex printers. I use the device-type and a custom table to decide what kind of printer is on the other side

~Florian

ron_dijkstra4
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm aware of the tables that can tell you is a device is duplex-compatible yes or no, but the page steering is in the sapscript; see OP (original post).

So, once I know that I have a simplex (?) printer, how can I steer the pages?

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It just depends on how you have called your TERMS-page.

In sapscript you just can add a condition around like:

/: IF &GV_PRINTTERMS(I)& = 'X'

/: NEW-PAGE 'TERMS'

/: ENDIF

or something like that... is this your question?

~Florian

ron_dijkstra4
Explorer
0 Kudos

At the moment I have made several pages, FIRST, NEXT, TERMS, ENDTERMS.

FIRST has TERMS as successor

TERMS has NEXT as successor, and vice versa.

(And in the end I call ENDTERMS (which is a copy of TERMS) to print the terms also at one page backside, or at the last page backside in case of a multiple page output).

I guess I will have to go back to a:

FIRST -> NEXT

NEXT -> NEXT page array, and call the TERMS page from within the sapscript as you described in your last reply. (I remember I had tried this though, but it didn't seem to work out).

ron_dijkstra4
Explorer
0 Kudos

At the moment I have solved it like this: All pages are defined D(uplex) in Sap script.

Page setup in Sap Script is First -> Next, and Next <-> Next.

At the end of the MAIN routine I call the Terms page once.

Expected output: All pages double sided, and the Terms are printed separate, of double side printed at the last page if the amount of printed pages is un-even.

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ahh.. I see... you just need to do it similar as you have now done it and call your sapscript with the specific layoutset at FM start_form (which need to be included right behind open_form)

First -> NEXT

FIRST_dup -> terms -> NEXT

~Florian

PS: You need to pass the formname also to get the thing running

archive_index just if you need it.

ron_dijkstra4
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Florian,

Sorry for the late reply. How can I prevent a gazillion (LOL) pages with the terms printed when the print is send to a simplex printer? There's not much I can do to change the sequal of pages?

( First -> Terms -> Next -> Terms -> Next -> End Terms)

On a simplex printer this would give me three single sided papers with the terms...

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe you should do it via the device-type. Have a look at the internal structure "SAPSCRIPT", I think there is a field "DEVICE" or "TYPE" included.

~Florian